Need router information

Well, we have two folks who both seem to know what they're talking about saying different things. That disabling a channel will speed up the other, while another saying this won't happen at all. Lets have some more discussion on this. What evidence is there that this is true?...disabling one channel speeds up the other? Is there something I can do on this end that would effectively measure my output now vs. after one channel is disabled?

Also is this def true, that I should use the 5GHz channel because it has the faster bandwidth?
I honestly never heard of disabling a channel to speed it up. Perhaps it is to cut interference? There are 12 wifi channels and they overlap each other. If your wifi signal is overlapping with another signal, it will slow down. Changing the channel you are using to one that is less noisy will help.

Signal overlap is about the only "problem" with them, but they're designed to operate as a compliment to each other. We use dual band AP's here at work, in both our HQ and remote offices, and it's nice having the different networks to connect to. When I was in Anaheim last month, the "normal" band was fine for most things, especially distance. The 5GHz band was just as useful. If one gives you issues, you can switch to another (if you don't own the network), but if you have problems, changing channels often helps.

The nice thing about the routers that support the open firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT is that they have channel scanners to help you determine if there are other sources nearby that might interfere with a channel setting. It then suggests a channel to use based on surrounding interference. I'm pretty sure some OEM makers do this now, but don't quote me, I haven't used anything but my Linksys at home in a while (and the ones at work just keep working!)

Kgury, the distance between my wireless router and my wireless Blue-ray DVD player (routed HDMI cable to my HD TV) is 25-30 ft.

Sorry for the delay. Work has been a pain in the ass lately.

You should be fine.
5GHz will give sufficient signal strength from that distance.

Sorry for the delay. Work has been a pain in the ass lately.

You should be fine.
5GHz will give sufficient signal strength from that distance.

Assuming that both devices support the 5GHz band then I agree. Just a fair warning, not all devices will support 5Ghz.

Back
Top Bottom