BSOD: The Bane of my Existence

Without spending anymore money, that's a great board. You can't crossfire two cards on that board though...at least the second video card would be pretty much useless as it will run on a x4 rail, meaning 1/4 of the power of the other one. Not worth crossfiring unless you have two x16. You'd have to spend a bit more for that. Actually, you'd have to jump up to 1366 platform to do that. Or, you can run x8 x8. You see an increase in performance, I don't know how much of an increase or whether it's worth the cost or not. I have one 5770 and it's working just fine. I have the capability of jumping up to two at x16...but the one does everything I need it to.

to nbrikha:
is he able to run at 8x 8x?
if not i will definitely agree with you. i did not see that it only supported 4x for the second card. it is gonna be a problem. he will still gain performance by getting the second card, but he is not gonna get the fully performance for the crossfire.
i think it will only be the half gain that he will get.

if he can run it at 8x 8x then there will be no problem. he will gain the full performance.

So do you guys have a motherboard that you would recommend? Oh and I currently have a 700 gb hard drive, but as I want to keep this HP computer as is for my sister (well ofcourse without the graphics card) I'd go with getting the two HDD's.

First off, I wouldn't put my drives on RAID0 anymore, because I have had no improvements and I have had nothing but problems trying to install Windows. I'd reccomend this drive for you and make 2 partitions with it:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Bare Drive -Bare Drive
It's a 1TB drive, but for $40 (As of 18/09/11), you can't go wrong.

As for the board, if you don't go with a dual-card setup, then the ASUS board you've mentioned will be fine for you.

And for the HP PC, we can help you solve this issue. If you want to get rid of it just because of that, then that would be throwing money out seriously.

i cant help 2 much more on the BSOD problem, i need to be there my self in order to fix it.
but what lhuser is saying about raid a can not understand. i am using raid0 and it DOES give great performance.
try to click on the control panel in the start menu. go on try it.

how long did it take to open? 1sec, 1½, 2 sec.... what about 1/3 of a sec. my system does it in that time.
files are opening faster. programs are opening faster.
i had no problem with the intall of windows 7.

For me, RAID0 just didn't cut it...if I'd get a performance increase, then it would be maybe around 1-3 secs faster...small enough so I won't feel the difference. Oh and...did I tell you how frustrating it is to install Windows on my PC? I'm not alone on that too. Windows refuses to take ANY 64-bit drivers, but works with 32-bit. If I have Windows (64-bit) install on it with 32-bit drivers, upon next reboot, it BSOD. Linux was even able to see partitions that were once used when the PC was in single drive configuration. That was the last day of RAIDing with me.

As for the BSOD, right-click Computer, select properties, then on the left, select "Change Advanced settings", then under the startup/recovery (Can't remember) tab, deselect "Automatically restart".
When it happens, you'll have all the time you want to read it.

I'd need the error code message on the bottom (Resembles something like 0X00000000). If you could give me the info on that, and if you have a message on top that looks like "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", thn give that info too. That enough will be enough for me to see what's the issue.

I use 64 bit Windows running two Raptor 150's in RAID 0 on my board just fine, even transferred the RAID from my last board to this one without reloading (both were Gigabyte boards, natch)

In my case, I run RAID0 because of space issues, and not wanting to manage two different 150GB drives. I've been running them this way for a few years, and haven't really had a reason to upgrade, if folks are wondering why I put up with ~300 GB in RAID0. I'm also backed up using Windows Home Server, and I store data in multiple locations, so failure really doesn't scare me.

RAID0 on SSDs however, that will be my next upgrade. XMas/Tax return time hopefully.

EchoNatek said:
if not i will definitely agree with you. i did not see that it only supported 4x for the second card. it is gonna be a problem.
Not accurate. Modern day video cards barely saturate even a 4x bus, and the limitation isn't a big deal (yet). Just like AGP 8x was way faster than we needed at the time when it was released (most cards couldn't saturate even a 2x bus)

Also to address the first issue, since I haven't seen anyone mention it. The HP p6631 ships with a 250 watt power supply. The MINIMUM requirements for a Radeon HD 5770 is 450 watts - this is sadly what you get with OEM computers. You need to look at getting your PC from your wish list there before you can really "fix" the problem. Except for the RAIDMax power supply in your list. Don't go there. Get a name brand from Corsair, Thermaltake, Seasonic, etc.

Not accurate. Modern day video cards barely saturate even a 4x bus, and the limitation isn't a big deal (yet). Just like AGP 8x was way faster than we needed at the time when it was released (most cards couldn't saturate even a 2x bus)
if you are going for sli or crossfire then it is gonna be a big problem. huge fps drop if it is modern cards. I am NOT wrong. do you want me to prove it?

Yeah I don't know where you're getting that from. PCIe x16 by x16 outperforms x8 by x8. Crossfire X8 + X8 Versus X16 + X16 : Crossfire Meets PCI Express 2.0

Now that difference isn't much per se but it's noticeable even in fps. And if you're going x16 to x4? Yeah, you're not getting you're money's worth for CF. One badass card is better spent then two decent cards. Now x8 x8, yeah, I could live with that. I would have an issue with x16 x4.

Nice catch on the PSU by the way. My initial reaction was to check that but I guess I got distracted by something else. It was probably shiny

Back
Top Bottom