Random Chit Chat

The HDD firmware is supposed to do it automatically. If it won't, and checkdisk won't, you're probably stuck. I'd do a complete reformat, then RMA if that fails.

It's 2011. Why is Dell still selling computers without gigabit LAN? I just spent 7 hours copying 12 movies to my mom's new laptop, only to find out that it's so underpowered that it cannot even play them back smoothly.

EDIT: Oh, and the HDMI port is nothing more than a glorified DVI. It's pretty useless without audio.

Looks like I have to replace the HDD. It's failing the SMART test, and there are a lot more bad sectors than I remember.

The HDD firmware is supposed to do it automatically. If it won't, and checkdisk won't, you're probably stuck. I'd do a complete reformat, then RMA if that fails.

It's 2011. Why is Dell still selling computers without gigabit LAN? I just spent 7 hours copying 12 movies to my mom's new laptop, only to find out that it's so underpowered that it cannot even play them back smoothly.

EDIT: Oh, and the HDMI port is nothing more than a glorified DVI. It's pretty useless without audio.
Have you tried modifying the power profiles? My HP laptop only had two power profiles and both were different levels of power saving mode. I had to create a new one to get the full performance out of it to just play HD movies.

Have you tried modifying the power profiles? My HP laptop only had two power profiles and both were different levels of power saving mode. I had to create a new one to get the full performance out of it to just play HD movies.

I have it on the "high performance" profile. The thing has intel graphics, so I don't think there's much that can be done.

Has anyone else here been playing "doodle or die"? It's basically a telephone game, but with crude sketches. One person draws, the next person describes the drawing, then the next has to draw the description. It's pretty fun.

Teny wrote: Looks like I have to replace the HDD. It's failing the SMART test, and there are a lot more bad sectors than I remember.

Or you can backup your data and use it while it dies!

How do they know the demographics of who views the site?

EDIT: What is the largest capacity external HDD I can get that doesn't require a transformer? I'd like to put all my movie backups on one so it can be used with a laptop, but I need 1TB at the very least, preferably 1.5TB. Physical size doesn't matter.

EDIT2: Another random question: Does *68 still work on digital cell phones? My dad always complains about having to carry around two cell phones when he's on duty for work, so I was thinking I could forward his personal phone to the work one.

also wth would you need a transformer for an external hdd.

I think foothead meant to ask what is the largest External that doesn't require it's own separate power source. The best thing I could find was to go to Newegg and search Harddrives > External > then select the 2.5" Form Factor. That displays all the "Portable" drives. I found two 1.5TB drives, but I'm not going to link them because one was a seagate and the other was a company I've never heard of. You can, however, find plenty of 1TB portable drives on there.

Back
Top Bottom