Time for an upgrade :)

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I've had the base parts for my main desktop in my sig for nearly 4 years (sig may not be entirely accurate). My computer started acting up and I eventually determined at least 3 of the 4 sticks of RAM had crapped out on me. So I'm running 2GB of some generic brand stuff I happened to have to keep it going for now.

The plan is to get a new motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM, CPU cooler, and case. Then I can put most of these parts into my HTPC, and my HTPC parts can upgrade my server. :p I've swapped out hard drives on this computer so much that the drives are new enough for now. I don't do a ton of hardcore gaming, so keeping my GTX260 will suffice and I have my 9800GT as my secondary card for my other 2 monitors. I can also reuse my optical drives.

One thing I can't decide on is AMD or Intel. I got a good build for both I believe, but I've always been an Intel fanboy, even though the AMD has 2 more cores and the build is cheaper... But I like EVGA products and there's no AMD EVGA products...

Intel:
MOBO: Newegg.com - EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI 3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2
CPU cooler: Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS5X SZ 92mm Hydraulic CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge

AMD:
MOBO: Newegg.com - ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
CPU cooler: Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS5X SZ 92mm Hydraulic CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge

The only differences are in the mobo, cpu, and ram really. As for the case I really really like the Antec 1200. I built my brother's computer in that case 2 years ago and it was amazing. Wiring management, space, looks great. But at the same time, my brother already has it, so I don't really want to copy him... The problems I have with the P183 is it's slightly smaller, wiring management isn't near as good as the 1200, and the door on the front. If you have any suggestions on cases that meet my criteria and looks good, that would be great. Absolute biggest thing being wiring management.

This is basically what I mean by wiring management. My brother's Antec 1200.
IMG_2114.jpg

Any other suggestions on parts to swap out, throw them out. I don't plan to buy this for another week or 2 at least.

I would stick with the heatsink you have rather than the one you want to buy. Spend the extra 30 bucks and get the CNPS10X Quiet or Extreme.

And it would seem this here PSU is a better buy. Modular and a better 80+ rating of bronze then the one you chose.Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply

You can use that g.skill on an amd build as well. I have them in mine right now. Works well. Like the Vengeance better though. I don't know that the LGA1366 platform is one you want to go with. I've been sold on the LGA2011. I've always seen that AMD has more bang for buck, and the intel cpu you chose, if I remember the figures right, is outperformed by the 6 core Thuban you have. Although, when bulldozer comes out, the mobo you chose won't be up to that eight core task. If it were me, I'd upgrade to an AM3+ mobo, get the thuban for now and swap it out for bulldozer when it comes out in a few months. You can get the Asus Sabertooth 990FX. Or, for just a few bucks more than the one you chose, you can get the M5A99X.

Ok, updated AMD build:

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case
MOBO: Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
Heatsink: Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme 120mm CPU Cooler with Worlds first PWM Fan Speed Controller

All that added up with shipping is still $45 cheaper than the original Intel build (with the case in the price). So I think I'll just go AMD, as much as it pains me to say that, haha.

As for the heatsink, I was looking for something different than the 9500/9700 copper colored one that I have used in previous builds. I looked at the black 9700 but it has green LEDs... Couldn't find anything else so I went with the one I posted. I like the one you posted better though.

As for swapping the CPUs down the line. Maybe in a year or 2, but I can probably suffer with the severely underpowered and outdated 6 core 3.2GHz processor for now. :p I'd be broke if I upgraded every time there was new technology to come out.

Suggestions are still welcome.

Actually, the 6 core Thuban can't outperform the Intel CPU mentioned, but I agree, the LGA1366 platform is dead, likewise for LGA1156.

If you were to adjust your build to include an i7 2600 on LGA1155 (2600k or not, depends on if you want to overclock it) then keep most of the AMD build items, you should be fine - the performance will throttle even the AMD X6 CPU.

Pricing an Intel build with an i7 2600, the price ran a bit too high for me. I think I'm going to stick with the AMD build.

Case decision is between the Antec 1200 which I have already built in and liked, or the slightly larger Cooler Master HAF 932. Still doing research.

I have the 932. It's dusty...very dusty. Too many open spaces and a lot of these spaces aren't bringing in fan air. It's just a mesh opening. The 942 is more efficient and doesn't have as much open space but still plenty of air flow. Not that I regret the 932, but if I had the 942, I'd be happier. As a style preference, I like the 932 over the Antec. As a functional preference, the innards of the HAF's have outward facing hard drive ports, making it easier to swap out hard drives. It's extremely spacious and the all metal frame feels like the kind of quality that will outlast several motherboards and their components. The 942 has the benefit of integrated USB 3.0. For some reason, the usb ports on the 932 are upside down from normal ports. I don't know if that's standard on all aftermarket cases, but it still annoys me a year later. Also, and I would hope with a case this big you'll keep this in mind, it's meant to be on the floor. The USB ports and I/O and reset switches are on top, as well as a handy whole for a liquid reservoir should you liquid cool. I still like the case, but every day it seems more shouty then I would like. Not like the 1200 is much different with all the LED in that. If shouty is what you're looking for, both of those do fine. If I could do it all over again, I'd go for a CM Elite Series case. Stylish but quiet.

I don't know why this is such a hard decision for me, but I really want this case to be the perfect case. I like the look of the Antec a little better because it's got an overall simple look that still looks good. I do like the hard drive mounting of the CM cases.

As for size. The 1200 is about the same size as the P183 I have. It fits nicely on my end table next to my desk. I'm sure the CM cases can as well.

I built my system 4 years ago in the CM Elite 330 case which I now use for my HTPC. The Elite cases look pretty good for the price and if you are on a budget they are excellent. But I'd never buy a second one again for the fact that the wiring management is horrible and aluminum is flimsy (flexes when you pick it up). I prefer the full towers now as well, easier to build with more room.

Back
Top Bottom