AMD breaks world overclock record with FX-8150

Yep, I'm probably going to get one as well, but I'll wait for the price to settle a bit first. I was going to put an 8110 in my HTPC, but after it got delayed for like the 5th time, I just gave up and got a 2600k.

That. was. awesome.

I wonder now, if anything will change in market share/partnerships due to their ability to use that as a selling point.

That. was. awesome.

I wonder now, if anything will change in market share/partnerships due to their ability to use that as a selling point.

Probably not. Extreme overclockers are a very small share of the market. What'll matter more is how it clocks on air.

Probably not. Extreme overclockers are a very small share of the market. What'll matter more is how it clocks on air.

I didn't mean to say that there would be change in profitability now due to their ability to sell to the overclocking market. What I mean is, with this new world record (fastest CPU), will this help them more effectively sell their product to large distributors? i.e. Would they be able to now convince someone like Dell to include them in the higher end systems or more proactively offer the chips to the business market?

I disagree.
They hold a world record for CPU speed. Now while the clock rate doesn't alone determine overall performance, not everybody understands that, and certainly not your first level consumer. I can easily see someone watching QVC and purchasing an AMD rig over an Intel rig simply because the salesman stated fastest CPU in the sales pitch... similar stuff happens... all the time. You're not going to see someone like Apple jump ship, sure, but this will play into sales. Larger companies will notice trends in consumer buying (if they exist) and may also alter their offering. There are always financial ripple's following achievements, just a matter of how large IMHO

I didn't mean to say that there would be change in profitability now due to their ability to sell to the overclocking market. What I mean is, with this new world record (fastest CPU), will this help them more effectively sell their product to large distributors? i.e. Would they be able to now convince someone like Dell to include them in the higher end systems or more proactively offer the chips to the business market?

OEMs know what they're doing though. They'll buy whatever will make them the most money, which is usually intel because they have so much name recognition. Besides, at least 90% of the population doesn't even know what overclocking means, so hearing that AMD holds the record won't mean anything to them.

Back
Top Bottom