Need help deciding between two different builds.

matthewjer18

Beta member
Aside from the standard tasks (basic browsing, etc), I would primarily be using this as a mid-range gaming computer, with my main games of choice being Lord of the Rings Online and some Call of Duty. Nothing particularly straining or high-end would be attempted, although some flexibility for future mid-range games would be preferable.

The AMD-based model is roughly $100 cheaper, but which would be the best gaming rig? What are the pros and cons to consider? And if I chose the AMD, what upgrades would you recommend for the processor, hard drive and video card to keep my budget around the $1200 range? With the Intel, I was upgrading to a Corsair FORCE and a GTX 560ti. If I made similar upgrades above the default with the AMD (recommendations?), could I get reasonably similar performance for mid-range gaming for at least $150 cheaper?

The AMD:
http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.p...products_id=25

The Intel:
http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.p...products_id=21

You are over paying by a lot by getting someone else to build it for you. By the products individually from newegg and put it together yourself. Save yourself the money or spend the 725 on a better build. You are not getting you're money's worth. Don't worry about the process of putting it together. We can help with those details. Here's an example of what you could get for 725.

Power Supply
Asus 990FX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 965
G.Skill Ripjaw RAM
MSI HD6870
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Antec 900 Case

You're getting a much better build for about 100 dollars more than the original AMD you chose. You now also have the option of adding a second graphics card for that extra boost if you really wanted it. The antec case isn't my favorite, you can get whatever case fits your style and functionality. You can get a larger case if you want or a nicer looking one. The only thing that changes is cost. You can also add a better aftermarket heatsink for another 40-80 dollars if you wanted to. I'd recommend it but it's not necessary. Here's a classic favorite of everyone's. It's an old model but probably still one of the best performing heatsinks for the cost: Cooler Master V8

If you have questions, ask away. Me and probably most people here would suggest against buying a premade custom build.

Some people just genuinely do not want to build on their own. I have far too much anxiety and far too little knowledge to trust myself with components collectively ranging $750+. If I am ensured a proper job getting all of the components together for an additional cost, then I am more than willing to expend much more than I would by building myself.

I understand the numerous benefits of building, but I just do not wish to do it. There are far too many ways for it to go wrong and I don't know one wire from the next to spin my head around. I'd rather, understanding the constraints imposed, get the best possible knowledge about what the best premade custom would be.

Well, to list just a few things. Pretty much any type of thing that can go wrong can be fixed by simply returning the products and getting new ones. It's like working on your own car. Sure you can screw it up if you just started taking a hammer and hitting things. But there's guide videos out there and once you finish it, trust me you enjoy it all the more. But, anyhow...you really are getting ripped off for the components he's putting in.

In any case, you can get the system as is. I wouldn't recommend it. If it were me, here's what I'd upgrade. The motherboard to the M4A98TD EVO. The CPU that's standard does not have L3 cache, which is good to have, so upgrade one level up to the Phenom II 955. I don't know what he considers to be a standard Power Supply Unit, so upgrade to the Corsair Enthusiast 650W Bronze Certified. The standard heatsink is fine, but if you prefer lower temperatures, which promotes longer life generally, go with the Cooler Master GeminII. That should put you at about 1000 dollars. The upgrades I listed will make your system more powerful now and thus a better investment long term because as time passes, software will demand more and more power, generally speaking. This upgraded system can also be upgraded as time goes by. The foundation items are good enough quality to last. These are my opinions. Hope I can help

It's not that I couldn't, theoretically, do the build myself. Rather, it's that I don't have the experience, skill or time for the grief of wondering whether or not I'm doing everything correctly. If I did select the parts myself, I would want to at least have physical guidance from an expert instead of having to gamble on expensive parts via video because I simply do not trust myself to do everything in a smart, timely manner. Does anyone know of any shops in or around NJ that has comprehensive, by-the-hour services for helping with home assembly?

I couldn't help you there. I'm not sure there's really a market for that anymore. Anyone who wants to put together their own computer either has or can figure it out and most other people just buy a Dell or HP or Apple. But I'm sure most of us will agree that we all started in the same place. No one is born good and not nervous in anything. Good practice is taking apart and putting together your current rig. The whole electronics bit might scare you, but it's very mechanical like a car. Just put everything where it should be, and it'll work presto. There's little that can happen if you take decent precautions. It's just screw on, screw in, plug in the CPU (and heatsink) and RAM and Video card, connect a few wires, install windows, and start gaming. If you've replaced a spare tire on a car, this is easier. If you're really that nervous about it, I'm sure one of us, or myself if you can grab me at a reasonable hour, can video chat with you while you install everything to make sure it's all in the right places. I'd rather you save your money and I help you personally then you get ripped off for the same computer you could put together yourself, and the experience to do it again is essential down the line. It's priceless knowledge

I remember a time when folks would give honest feedback on a forum where the OP's question was directly answered, and not based on what they SHOULD do based on opinion or "peer pressure"

/sigh

That being said, the Intel page won't load, but the AMD page does, and the price isn't that bad, for an OEM/prebuild. Folks need to learn to check the links out before they just assume that because someone isn't building a PC, that they are being taken for a ride. OEM/Prebuilt PCs have a very competitive price ratio these days as compared to building your own.

For someone who doesn't want to, or have the time to dabble in their own PC building, that AMD system is a fine system.

I told him my opinion. I told him what I would do then if he wanted to go with someone else building it, I told what I what upgrade. He can do what he wants. It's my OPINION (which is what forums are about from time to time) that learning to build your own system and saving the money rather than just having someone else do it. I agree, if he doesnt have the time to figure it out, then w/e, do what you need to do. I was being friendly and trying to save this guy some money. I did also say what you said.

You didn't express your opinion. Your rammed your beliefs down his throat. :p You immediately went into why it was a bad idea to buy OEM. Just answer his question and THEN suggest other options. It's the least people can do.

A year ago when I was here, that's all people were doing when someone suggested buying what he wants to buy. They did that not to win an argument but because why would someone spend more money over less money. Convenience. If he really doesn't want to inconvenience himself, then it doesn't matter what I tell him. But if two posts on a forum he just joined changes his mind, then he might just want to do it himself. In any case, the OP will do what he wants to do. But...duly noted and will that into account next time.

Back
Top Bottom