Comuter reboots continuously

Noob Killer

Solid State Member
Hi

my pc is a P4 3ghz 1gb ram 40gb hdd onboard graphics running Win XP and while booting it will sometimes reboot it self continuously at the windows loading point or after loging in. sometimes it will even last half an hour or so and then suddenly reboot itself.

At one stage i sort of overclocked it in bios. I'm not sure whether or not it was that. or there's something else.

Please Help!!!

Is this a new problem, or did it occur recently? Do you ever get any sort of error, or does it immediately drop to the BIOS screen? Is your computer a Dell?

Memtest86+ Start by running this. If the problem is as sever as you say, any memory errors should appear in the first hour or so. Post back when you have to results.

no i never get any error it just suddenly turns off and reboots it never goes to the bios screen & no it is not a dell.

My power supply is fine.

Run the memory test and see what happens. If this shows no issues it could be your pc overheating. How long ago since a good clean out inside? And it could be a faulty power supply, you cant just assume that its ok. The best way to confirm this, is to buy a cheap PSU and test it in your PC

First step is to actually undo any overclocking and see if the problem goes away. We have quite a few of these P4's at work and if you're using it with the OEM heatsink, you're going to be seeing 60C idle temps on the original heatsink, so God only knows how hot you'll be running overclocked.

If you are back at stock clocks, be sure you check the temps. The P4 can throttle itself down if it gets too hot (over 80C or so) but if there's a cooling issue, it could definitely cause the looping reboots you're getting now. After you've done that, then I would go ahead and run the memory tests.

undoing the over clocking was one of the first things i did, i also checked the power supply and temperature all seemed to be ok but i'll look again.

Thanks

"reboot it self continuously at the windows loading point or after loging in."

I have seen some XP computer with virus affected causing the auto reboot at this point of screen loading.

The answer is reinstall the XP.

You may want to backup your data first.
Hope this helps!
Bill

I kind of skipped over your post when I first read it. If this problem has started after you attempted to overclock it, it will almost certainly be the issue. Quickest and easiest way to sort this is to take the side off your PC and press the CMOS button. This will reset all the settings to factory default.

It should look like this red button below

e6750_vs__q6600___msi_cmos_button.jpg

Back
Top Bottom