BootMGR is missing - pc won't start, think it's my hard drive.

freeman451

Beta member
Not sure where this belongs so i'll leave it here...

I can run my pc with my old hard drive, but as soon as I plug in my new hard drive along with the old one and reboot the pc, it gives me "BootMGR is missing", and it doesn't want to start. I tried the boot-repair option from my vista cd, that didn't help.

I have a ubuntu live cd which allows me to play around with my new hard drive settings, is there a setting I should change?

NEW DRIVE with my old files on it:

Screenshot-1.png

Old drive with a clean copy of windows:
Screenshot-1-1.png

Are you installing the (new)1TB hard drive as a secondary drive for storage or is it taking the place of the (old)500GB drive?

I'd like to see you boot into vista in order to check your local(500gb) drive for errors(and, in turn, fix them). Once booted into vista open up windows explorer(click start ---> computer or just press win+E). Right click your local drive and select properties ---> tools tab ---> click "check now". Some times the scan will just start but it'll probably ask you if you'd like to force dismount or schedule scan. You're going to want to schedule a scan. It'll schedule it for the next time your computer boots. So you've clicked "schedule scan/repairs"...now restart your computer and let the thing run. This can take a long time if you need it.

I feel like some sort of os(or something funky/bootable) is already installed on the 1tb drive but it was done so poorly(partition table/mbr damaged) and is unbootable. I'd bet that your 1tb is set to boot first(500gb second) in the bios(the tag for the 1tb does say sda as opposed to sdb for the 500gb). You should maybe see what you can do to switch the boot order.

Recap:
I can see that there are problems with the format on the 500gb...repair it
Check the boot order and fix it to suit your needs.

I'd like to see you boot into vista in order to check your local(500gb) drive for errors(and, in turn, fix them). Once booted into vista open up windows explorer(click start ---> computer or just press win+E). Right click your local drive and select properties ---> tools tab ---> click "check now". Some times the scan will just start but it'll probably ask you if you'd like to force dismount or schedule scan. You're going to want to schedule a scan. It'll schedule it for the next time your computer boots. So you've clicked "schedule scan/repairs"...now restart your computer and let the thing run. This can take a long time if you need it.

I feel like some sort of os(or something funky/bootable) is already installed on the 1tb drive but it was done so poorly(partition table/mbr damaged) and is unbootable. I'd bet that your 1tb is set to boot first(500gb second) in the bios(the tag for the 1tb does say sda as opposed to sdb for the 500gb). You should maybe see what you can do to switch the boot order.

Recap:
I can see that there are problems with the format on the 500gb...repair it
Check the boot order and fix it to suit your needs.

This^

Rep

Back
Top Bottom