What's wrong with my computer?

firecat318

Solid State Member
I have a custom built PC with a 530 watt power supply. Just today it randomly shut off when I was browsing the internet. I tried to turn it back on but the power supply would light up for only a fraction of a second and then it would shut back off. If I hit the button again nothing would happen. I thought it might be my electrical outlet so I plugged my computer into a different outlet. It powered right up but then about 20 minutes later it shut down again unexpectedly. I moved the computer back to the original outlet and it powered back up. 20 minutes later it shut off again - if I tried to turn it back on nothing would happen. I moved it back to the other outlet and it would power back up again. However, it shut off again in 20 minutes again... Now I'm fairly certain something is wrong with my computer and it's not the electrical outlets in my room. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong?

Sounds like your power supply is taking a poo or maybe it's not got enough juice to handle your setup.
You say that you have a custom built pc, did you build it?...if not, who?
What are you running(how many fans, harddrives, what kind of graphics card, mobo model...)?
What operating system do you have installed?
What type of sites do you frequent when it shuts off?
What happens when you leave it on without doing anything(no browsing no nothing)?
What happens if after the computer decides to not start if you power cycle* your rig and then try and turn it on again while it's still plugged into the same outlet?

*power cycle - While computer is powered down flip the power switch on your power supply to the off position. Push and hold the power button(front of box) down for 8seconds. Release the button. Flip the switch on the power supply back to the on position. Finally push the power button on the front of the box to power the system back on.

PSU - Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply
CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
MoBo - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

HD 6970 graphics card
Older hard drive dont know model its 500 GB 5400 RPM
8 GB Corsair XMS Memory
Win 7 64 bit
If I leave it on and don't do anything it will still shut off
Yes I built the PC myself - it has been running great for 8 months

I haven't tried power cycle yet... maybe I will try it.

Raidmax is a crappy quality PSU. There's one problem.

GEKKO's suggestion that is noted by the * is good, if it doesn't turn on after that, the PSU or motherboard got hosed.

Is it bluescreening when it powers down? I would like to see you take out half of your ram modules while powered down, reboot and try things out again...same result? swap in the ram modules you took out and out the ones you had in. We don't like to think our ram ever has anything to do with this stuff but I just saved a friend's life by diagnosing a bad ram module...never saw it coming myself. It was booting up fine and then BAM! couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Pretty sure that power cycling is just gonna let you know that you don't have to keep moving your computer around to diagnose issues. When you power cycle it just releases all the electricity in your ram and stuff. but it does seem like a 530 is a bit lower than the recommended. 550 on the low would be better. 650 probably what you really want. Power deficiency and ram error...possibly co-morbid issues, ah it's probably just the psu, but we'll see.

Raidmax is a crappy quality PSU. There's one problem.

GEKKO's suggestion that is noted by the * is good, if it doesn't turn on after that, the PSU or motherboard got hosed.

I agree. Get yourself a new PSU. Some brands that I trust are enermax, thermaltake, corsair, cooler master, etc. I would also bump your total wattage up to atleast 650 as well, I believe its better to have more than not enough. This corsair isn't too bad for the price: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Back
Top Bottom