Computer problems! Help needed!

benandrews54

Solid State Member
Hi all,

About two weeks ago my computer started playing up while trying to run certain programs and I cannot seem to find a way around it. Any advice on how to get my computer up to full functionality would be most appreciated.

The programs that crash when I open them are as far as I can tell so far; Google Chrome, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Adobe Acrobat Reader, iTunes. I'm sure there are more but I haven't discovered them yet. Basically when I start the program they just crash straight away and windows automatically shuts them down. However, when the problem first started Windows Live Photo Gallery told me something about not enough space on my hard drive to be viewing the file. Unfortunately, the program just crashes now so I can't view the message again but my hard drive has 750 GB of free space so I am not sure what is happenning.

I was wondering whether it was soemthing to do with the programs that require a lot of memory to run for some reason have stopped working as programs like WMP and IE are working just fine.

My computer:

RAM: 4GB (3.75GB usable)
Processor: AMD Athlon II x3 445 Processor 3.10GHz
Hard drive: 750GB free of 1TB

I built the computer myself so if you need anymore information just ask.

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks,
benandrews54

Glary Utilities is a great registry cleaner/problem solver. If you've run virus scans and removed programs you don't really use (Revo - Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems) then you should consider Glary (Glary Utilities - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com). This is just kinda where I start after driver and OS updates of course.

Or CCleaner.
Works wonders
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

I have already tried using CCleaner and removed all the registry problems and cleared all the unwanted temp files but the problem is still there. As it happened at a certain time rather than when I updated certain programs (They all stopped working at the same time basically) I don't think it is to do with failed updates. Although iTunes has asked me to recently update but the update wouldn't download or install for some reason.

I agree. Go bare bones and uninstall programs you personally added and re install as you go. Try and let uninstallation and (eventual) re installation proceed without running anything else. Registry is everything here man. Look at your windows taskbar. I'm sure there are plenty of things there you don't quite know enough about. Research what you don't know about (or ask us) and get rid of what you can. Glary will tell you a lot about startup programs based on user feedback too. Just be really thorough and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Unwanted boggy programs can still leave remnants in your registry when you remove them via windows "programs and features/add remove programs". Revo can take care of that.

yep, uninstall all user programs, emtpy your temp folders (use CCleaner [the best]) then re-install. should be fine. If this wont work, re-install windows

Running system repair on windows install disk...squeeze that in between those two options.

Thanks for the advice guys, uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome did nothing to resolve the problem even though i cleaned the registry after every step. I will try out the other advice now.

I have tried everything suggested short of reinstalling windows. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I can do to sort this out or is my only option left to take the hit and reinstall windows?

Back
Top Bottom