what would be the EASIEST (to learn) programming language for an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER ..

creatip

Beta member
... who wants to code a Tetris-like game in less than 3 month?

Would Scratch (I came upon it HERE) do the trick? I also need a decent GUI and about 30 fps.

I started Python but I can't install the GASP (I have Vista) and I'm running outta time. My (programming/gaming-related) story is HERE

Thank you guys and Happy Labor Day!!

Dan

P.S. If I'm looking for something Windows friendly (I'm tired of Windows being the Cinderella of the programming community), would VB6.0 be the (only) answer (since C++ would obviously take way more than 3 mo to master)?

Scratch is possibly the easiest solution, it's quick to get started with and has a very easy interface to pick up. You'll find yourself incredibly restricted though when you've mastered the basics. Greenfoot might be another one to look at, it uses Java so you're not working with a restrictive language but it's still quite easy to get started (I've run workshops with Greenfoot where we've got 15-16 year old kids creating basic games in a day or so.)

If you're looking at programming languages in general and not just for games, have a look at my sticky in the programming section.

so you mean Scratch would help me "code a Tetris-like game in less than 3 month"? I only need to send a playable demo of SyncFerno to the damn contest. Once I'm done with that I'll probably buy a new laptop, install Unix on it and go back to Python

It depends how complicated you want it to be, it may well do but you may find it limiting. I haven't used it a great deal so can't really be more specific sorry - but there's no harm in you giving it a try for a day or so to see if it meets your needs or not.

well, you're obviously an accomplished programmer, but I'm NOT. YOU CAN figure it out in “a day or so” if a programming language will do what you want, but I CAN'T. I'll have to learn it to the last page and only THEN come to a conclusion.

Anyways, would you be interested in coding SyncFerno? I'll put the Abstract online (and a link here) in a few days. Or I can email it to you if you are, at least, curious. If you don't think it's a winner (i.e. it'll make it to the Winners List of Intel's Level Up 2011) you just say NO. No hard feelings

well, you're obviously an accomplished programmer, but I'm NOT. YOU CAN figure it out in “a day or so” if a programming language will do what you want, but I CAN'T. I'll have to learn it to the last page and only THEN come to a conclusion.
With most languages this would be the case, but with environments like Scratch and Greenfoot you really do get up and running very quickly (and there's a good community to point you in the right direction if you get stuck.)

Either way, it does sound like you're being rather ambitious here, 3 months is a lot to learn a language and code a fully functional game in even if you are good at picking things up quickly!

Anyways, would you be interested in coding SyncFerno? I'll put the Abstract online (and a link here) in a few days. Or I can email it to you if you are, at least, curious. If you don't think it's a winner (i.e. it'll make it to the Winners List of Intel's Level Up 2011) you just say NO. No hard feelings
I'm afraid if nothing else just through time constraints it won't be a project for me - I've already got my own I've had to put aside for a while since I'm starting my PhD in the next couple of days, so if I did find time that would have to take priority.

fair enough. But if I post SF online (and a link here) just tell me what you think.

Best of luck with your PhD

Back
Top Bottom