Seagate Barracuda LP vs WD Caviar Green

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I'm looking for a storage HDD. Currently I am looking at the 2TB models, and notice these two.

Seagate Barracuda ST320005N4A1AS-RK 2TB
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB

Since it is going to be a storage drive, I don't care about performance. What I want to know is which one is more reliable (which brand has lower failure rates), and which one has the best customer service for RMA and stuff. Also, opinions and your thoughts about these two drives would be nice. I can get the Seagate for $70, and the WD for $80.

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you right now that we (my family) have a WD Caviar Green and have had it for years now. Thing still spools up without an issue, has never had an error, and though a bit slower than the newer line WD drives works like the day we took it out of the box. (And we use it constantly for file storage and big transfers)

I don't know enough abut the Barracuda to give you valid input, but I've heard those are good drives as well.

Tough choice.

I've had the 2TB WD green in my HTPC for about a year now. Nothing bad I can say about it really. It's wonderful for video storage.

Really, I'd just go with whichever is cheaper though. Both are great brands, and hard drive models tend to change constantly, so there's not really any way to know about long-term reliability.

Likewise, I'd say go with whatever one is more attractive price wise. If they're the same, flip a coin. Both are good brands.

Back
Top Bottom