Quick HDD question

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So I found out one of my HDD might be failing, or it can just be bad sectors. If I were to take it out, and make it into an external HDD (only use it to retrieve certain files), would that actually increase the lifespan of the HDD opposed to keeping it in my PC (always on whenever my PC is on)? Or will both be the same?

I'm assuming that it should last a bit longer because its not constantly spinning as much. It is still under warranty, however, I have lost the receipt for it.

I would say that it should last longer as it won't be powered on as much. Also, if you haven't yet, try out HDD Tune software to check out your hard drive's status, there is a free version on their website.

I would say that it should last longer as it won't be powered on as much. Also, if you haven't yet, try out HDD Tune software to check out your hard drive's status, there is a free version on their website.

Yeah I agree with this, you will be using it less so it will last longer.

It may be used less but it's also subject to more jostling and jarring which could be a factor in its longevity.

As far as not having the receipt, it may not matter as some (all?) mfrs use the serial number to determine date of manufacture for the warranty. Have you tried going to the mfrs website? For instance, the Western Digital website has a warranty checker where you type in the serial number(s) of the drive(s) and it will tell you if the drive is still under warranty. If it is, you can request an RMA, no receipt required.

I tested it over night. Has a few bad sectors, as well as it didn't finish scanning.

It may be used less but it's also subject to more jostling and jarring which could be a factor in its longevity.

As far as not having the receipt, it may not matter as some (all?) mfrs use the serial number to determine date of manufacture for the warranty. Have you tried going to the mfrs website? For instance, the Western Digital website has a warranty checker where you type in the serial number(s) of the drive(s) and it will tell you if the drive is still under warranty. If it is, you can request an RMA, no receipt required.

I can't seem to find the HDD through the website, nor a support page for it. I was going to email them about it, but they want to select the product from a drop down menu, and the HDD is not listed there either. The HDD is the Samsung F3 HD103SJ. They do have the F1 series there.

EDIT - Since its OEM, does that mean I can get the warranty from the store instead of contacting Samsung?

EDIT - Since its OEM, does that mean I can get the warranty from the store instead of contacting Samsung?

No. Most retail stores will give you their own return/exchange policy, 30 days in most cases. But your OEM drive should have a 3 year warranty through samsung. I had no luck finding the support page for your specific model. See what they say after emailing them about it and go from there.

I found your drive listed here. If you follow the links to support from there you can check the warranty via the serial number.

No. Most retail stores will give you their own return/exchange policy, 30 days in most cases. But your OEM drive should have a 3 year warranty through samsung. I had no luck finding the support page for your specific model. See what they say after emailing them about it and go from there.

I've tried emailing them, but like I said, they require me selecting the product from a drop down menu, and my HDD (or HDD in general) is within the drop down menu. I feel like if I were to select another product besides HDD, it will be ignored.

I found your drive listed here. If you follow the links to support from there you can check the warranty via the serial number.

I've checked the site. When I try to initiate a RMA, they require me to register. When I register, they require a company name. Since I do not have a company, I simply put "Home" as the company name. However, I cannot get past that page as it says "Company name taken."

I started Google'ing more, and I found these three topics.
From 2005
From 2010
From 2011

From all three, there is one person that said Samsung OEM HDD warranty are with the resellers. However, I asked my friend that works at Micro Center (where I purchased it from), said that since its after 30 day, I have to deal with Samsung, but the RMA (from any Samsung site) seems impossible to deal with. So does that mean I am SOL and stuck with the defective drive?

Back
Top Bottom