Purchasing a Laptop

rancineb

Beta member
Ahh, my first post...

So, I'm looking to purchase a laptop and looking for some help. Up until now I've always had PCs and have built them myself. I'm looking into getting a laptop now and not sure I feel comfortable building a laptop so looking at buying one instead. I have no idea what are good laptops so hoping I can get some help.

I want to get a decent one, but don't want to spend a fortune. I'm looking to get back into programming and want to get into game development as a hobby. So it'll need to have some good processing power.

What are some good laptop brands? I always hear about alienware big in the gaming community, but they are pricey. Are they more expensive because they're more powerful, or because you pay a price for a laptop that glows in the dark?

Thanks for your help!

~Brian

What is your expected budget for this? Alienware laptops do generally have good power, and come with a nice price tag, and generally poor battery life due to the large amount of power consumption.

However, I have personally always had some good experience with HP laptops (as long as you know how to remove some of the bloatware), and find they are still decently affordable.

I'm looking to spend around $1000. I know that's pretty low for Alienware, but I figure there are other options that will have the same performance but not as expensive. I definitely want to keep the bloatware to a minimum. One of the reasons why I've always built my own PCs.

Well, you could take a look at the HP DV7t series. You can customize it with an i7, 6gb ram, a 6490M graphics card, 640GB hdd and a Radeon 6770M for about $1,000 pre-tax.

As far as alienware goes, you aren't gonna find one for $1k brand new unless you are looking at a stock M14, or an M11, which is only an 11 inch screen.

Another alternative may be the Dell XPS line. I customized an XPS 15 with an i7, Nvidia GeForce 540M, 6GB RAM, 500GB hdd for about $1,075 pre-tax.

Back
Top Bottom