which processor is better

An overclocked i7-2600k supposedly gets performance levels comparable to 900-1000$ very high end CPUs (and it's a third of the price). It's probably the best processor out there that regular folks can afford. From reviews I've read, there seems to be some stability issues (there are occasional slow downs), but it's worth the processing power.

As for an overclocked i5-2500k, it's probably the best mid-range CPU you can find at the moment. Comparable to to the i7-950/960 of the first generation i processors. I've seen some pretty impressive video game benchmarks with this processor for the price.

Depends on what you're doing. For gaming, the AMD beats Intel, for anything else, get the Intel. If you're on a budget, get the AMD. There's not really a better CPU. It all comes down to one's preference.

This is not accurate anymore. :( Intel is actually faster in gaming than AMD now, until you get the systems to a high resolution on a high end video card, and then they perform pretty much the same, since the bottleneck becomes the video card. Both processor families can keep a modern high end GPU stocked with enough data to play games at high resolutions. The only part that is true, is the money factor. Since both are good at high resolution gaming, it makes sense, fiscally, to go with AMD if you don't do a lot of compute heavy tasks (and even then there are indeed some that AMD is still pretty good at compared to Intel, but the delta is pretty small)

Josh Rider said:
An overclocked i7-2600k supposedly gets performance levels comparable to 900-1000$ very high end CPUs (and it's a third of the price). It's probably the best processor out there that regular folks can afford. From reviews I've read, there seems to be some stability issues (there are occasional slow downs), but it's worth the processing power.

Very true. I've had hands on with the 2600k and it's just an absolute performance monster. I almost didn't deliver the system to the guy we were building it for to keep it for myself, until I realized I'd never be able to push it running things like office and vSphere. D'oh!

Back
Top Bottom