HDD Clone software

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I plan on buying a new HDD to replace my primary one (OS). However, I do not wish to reinstall windows and every program as I do not have the time right now. What is a good software (preferably free) that will clone my primary HDD to the new one? That way I can just swap the HDD (sata slot wise) and boot up normally on the new HDD.

Remember that, when you install a HDD with windows onto a new motherbord it will ask you to activate it.

He's installing on same motherboard, just different HDD. The HDD only counts for 1 point in the checksum and you need a total of three points to trigger a new activation in Windows.

You can also use Clonezilla, we use that at work and it's free, but I haven't tried DriveImageXML so that may be your best bet.

Many drive manufacturers have software available on their website that will clone the entire contents of the old drive to the new one.

He's installing on same motherboard, just different HDD. The HDD only counts for 1 point in the checksum and you need a total of three points to trigger a new activation in Windows.

You can also use Clonezilla, we use that at work and it's free, but I haven't tried DriveImageXML so that may be your best bet.

I'll check that out too. I will research both to see which one has the better reviews. With retail windows, I can use it on as much machine as I want, as long as only one PC is activated with the key right? Its OEM that can't be transferred?

Many drive manufacturers have software available on their website that will clone the entire contents of the old drive to the new one.

Does it matter that the HDD manufacturers wont be the same? The old one is Seagate and the new one will be Samsung.

Here's what I use at work and personally, in order of personal preference:

Symantec Ghost - My personal favorite for this task. Fast...simple...reliable...
Seagate's utility - Had some nice features in it but was a little bit too...uh..."frilly" for me...
Acronis TrueImage - Too frilly and takes FOR EEEEEEVEEEEEERRRRRRRRR to clone. (Took me 11.5 hrs last time I had to use it...would have taken Ghost about 25 min...) But...it works...

I've also tried that DriveXML one but could never get it to work. It always gave me an error regarding VSS.

Back
Top Bottom