GTX 580 vs GTX 570 (Also what does video ram effect?)

sk8tr4lf1989

Baseband Member
1st off I was looking at the gtx 580 and noticed there was a 3000 ddr3 ram model. Is that really necessary over the 1500 ddr3.

I was looking to get the GTX 580 or the GTX 570. I can SLI 2 570 and beat the 580. I'd only get one for now and then add a 2nd later.

I was looking to play games like Skyrim, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. Games along those lines.

What would you recommend and if anyone could answer the video ram question. Thanks!

To correct a small technicality, its GDDR5 RAM not DDR3. RAM in general is where the processor will store information it wants to readily use rather than pulling it from the hard drive. More RAM creates more room for more information to be stored. It makes it faster to access. In video card terms, it defines how much resolution you can have. Basically, you'd want more RAM so you can run multiple screens. I believe the 3000MB is so you can connect three monitors at 1080 resolution without needing a second card. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of upgrading...unless you plan on getting a second 580, I wouldn't buy just one. It's not really a cost effective upgrade from 570 to 580. It's the same reason why I won't give up my 5770 for a 6970...I'll just get a second 5770 or 6770. Sure, one on it's own isn't impressive but two of the one I have gives me more theoretical power than a single 6970.
BUT!!! In terms of NVidia cards, from what I can tell...the most bang for your buck is a gtx 590...which is basically two 580s crammed into one card, and it costs less than two gtx 580s.

If you're gonna SLI, might as well do two GTX 580s. Check with your motherboard though. If you can do two pcie slots at x16, itll be worth it. If not, a single 590 would be a better fit. I'm not super familiar with NVidia so I'm sure I need some correcting, but that'll get you started at least

SLI gtx570 will do better then 1 gtx 580.
here is a review that shows it: GeForce GTX 570 SLI review

extra memory is good if you are running high resolution. by high resolution i dont meen HD. i meen by having dual or 3 monitors for gaming.
then the extra memory really is gonna help. in some cases you will get better performance with extra memory with only 1 screen at 2560x1600 resolution, but it is very little.
i will not waste money on it if you are not running somthinf like 3d sorrund vision.
i did find a review that confirms my theory about almost no performance increase with 1 monitor at 2560 x 1600.
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB Review - Page 10

edit:
i just saw the post above. he posted some seconds before me.
he explains it well.
i see no problem in upgrading to the 580, it is a little expensive but you also get sic performance. but personal i think that instead of buying 2 gtx 570 at once i will diffidently get the gtx 590.
but if you are gonna buy 1 card first and then one more for sli later, then i think the 570 is a great choice.
as nbrikha sayd. the 580 is a little expensive for what you get. and by adding 2 of the 580 is just even more of an expanse.

So would the 1500 be enough for one 24" 1900x1080 and a 22" with less res in dual monitor? Only one monitor will be used for gaming the 2nd would just have windows app running.

Also I don't think I could ever buy the gtx 590 I'd be mad at myself for spending that.

My plan was to either get 2x 570 and sli or get one 580 and in the future when the price drops get a 2nd for SLI.

What would be best? Like I said I'm not looking to play Crysis or any crazy games like that. Just diablo 3, SC2, Skyrim and possibly some MMO.

Well, the new Elder Scrolls and Diablo are gonna be quite demanding...especially Skyrim...especially at enthusiast levels. If you get two 580's, youll be spending nearly 400 dollars more and get very little on the back end in terms of performance. Sooo...two 570s?

BUT!!!!:
Why would you be mad at yourself for buying a 590...that's about 100 dollars more than two 570s...with better performance. You get the power of two 580s for the money of two 570s. That's pretty much a good deal.

wait so you think there going to be so demanding that 1 570 or 2 or 1 580 wouldn't be able to play it max?

i dont know about what the games are gonna take.

technologi are getting better and better all the time, if you allways want the best of the best you are gonna be a poor man.
if you realy want to be an enthusiast the 590 will be a great choice.
you are gonna get more performance with 2 580 then 1 gtx 590. because that the 590 contains 2 downclocked 580 cores.
it is not posible to put in 2 gtx 580 on 1 pcb at the size of the 590. asus has a card with 100% functional 580 cores, but have you seen how big it is? and the price is just even more huge.
most exepensiv gaming card right now.
here it is: Computex 2011 – ASUS MARS 2: frecvente si PCB in premiera | lab501

i personaly will go for 1x 570 and when the next serie comes out, i will get one of those. if you have the money to spend now, the 590 will be my choice.
but if you want the 580 in SLI, thats your choice. you are gonna get huge performance. but money dont grow on trees.

I don't have the money and I am not looking for the best of the best. All I want to do is run Blizzard games and skyrim on max settings. I have 2x 8800gt atm.

Just looking to upgrade enough to play them on max. If I can do it on one 570 then that's all I will get. Just seeing if anyone thought that a 570 would be enough for those games.

All of this VRAM talk is driving me crazy. 1.5gb is more than enough, I've never used over around 600mb, and yes, I've played crysis. I can't think of a single reasonable situation where you would be using 3gb of VRAM alone.

"I believe the 3000MB is so you can connect three monitors at 1080 resolution without needing a second card."

Also, with Nvidia cards, I believe you're going to need to SLI to run 3 monitors.

Back
Top Bottom