Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yes, I realize it's up to me, but considering no major rules have been broken, I can't close this without over-stepping some kind of boundary. It's up to the OP to decide :)
i wouldnt have an issue with it being closed . I will say this though, it may be 6 days it may be 6 weeks it may be 6 months but someone will start a new why mac or mac v pc or is mac better type of thread , its just like amd v intel its just always going to be debated ,this time round I had changed my views slightly thoughnhence why i stated them

i want to point out something..

What does PC mean? Personal Computers. Right?

The argument is Mac VS PC... isn't mac a PERSONAL COMPUTER?

What am I saying? Windows now = PC.. even though Mac is a PC... Now, this is terminology but look at this way...when I say Cell Phone and just about anything that says *turn off cell phone* or something like that, the image usually is an Iphone..

Or MP3 players, thats an Ipod.

Now I bring this up, is that Windows has the majority of users, hence why PC has become Windows. Just a point nothing else.

What people need to realize is its Operating Systems.. and has nothing to do with the computer itself. Now, Do I want an apple computer that costs 1400$ when I can go on Newegg, buy all of the parts for 500-600$ slap windows on it, and call it day. You are paying for the O.S, and really overpaying for the O.S

For example: 13inch mac pro: $1499
# 2.7GHz dual-core
Intel Core i7
# 4GB 1333MHz
# 500GB 5400-rpm1
# Intel HD Graphics 3000
# Built-in battery (7 hours)2

Or Mac Pro 13-inch: 2.3 GHz $1199

* 2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
* 4GB 1333MHz
* 320GB 5400-rpm1
* Intel HD Graphics 3000
* Built-in battery (7 hours)

Piece that out on newegg: I5 or an i7 wouldn't be over 300$ 4gb of laptop ram 50$ 500 GB hardrive 50-100$ GFX card probably 150-200$ = 650$ cost of Win 7 = 200$ = 850$ and that is overpricing, guessing without looking anything up.

Considering I bought an Asus I7 500gb, 4gigs of ram, 17inch with a Nvidia 540 in it for 900$

Once MAC O.S has flash, can play 100% of the games, and is available to purchase on any computer then it will be the dominate O.S until then, unless windows really screws up (VISTA!??) windows will = PC

i want to point out something..

What does PC mean? Personal Computers. Right?

The argument is Mac VS PC... isn't mac a PERSONAL COMPUTER?

What am I saying? Windows now = PC.. even though Mac is a PC... Now, this is terminology but look at this way...when I say Cell Phone and just about anything that says *turn off cell phone* or something like that, the image usually is an Iphone..

Or MP3 players, thats an Ipod.

Now I bring this up, is that Windows has the majority of users, hence why PC has become Windows. Just a point nothing else.

What people need to realize is its Operating Systems.. and has nothing to do with the computer itself. Now, Do I want an apple computer that costs 1400$ when I can go on Newegg, buy all of the parts for 500-600$ slap windows on it, and call it day. You are paying for the O.S, and really overpaying for the O.S

For example: 13inch mac pro: $1499
# 2.7GHz dual-core
Intel Core i7
# 4GB 1333MHz
# 500GB 5400-rpm1
# Intel HD Graphics 3000
# Built-in battery (7 hours)2

Or Mac Pro 13-inch: 2.3 GHz $1199

* 2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
* 4GB 1333MHz
* 320GB 5400-rpm1
* Intel HD Graphics 3000
* Built-in battery (7 hours)

Piece that out on newegg: I5 or an i7 wouldn't be over 300$ 4gb of laptop ram 50$ 500 GB hardrive 50-100$ GFX card probably 150-200$ = 650$ cost of Win 7 = 200$ = 850$ and that is overpricing, guessing without looking anything up.

Considering I bought an Asus I7 500gb, 4gigs of ram, 17inch with a Nvidia 540 in it for 900$

Once MAC O.S has flash, can play 100% of the games, and is available to purchase on any computer then it will be the dominate O.S until then, unless windows really screws up (VISTA!??) windows will = PC

What...? You realise you can't just switch between desktop and laptop parts, right?

It's a Macbook Pro, not a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is a desktop computer.

I've been avoiding this thread for quite some time but here are my thoughts on "Why Mac?".

1.) Quality - Sleek Unibody design with unparalleled multi gesture controls make navigating the web and several live applications a breeze. (Even though they stole some of my favorite gestures in Lion OSX).

2.) Battery Life - My MacBook Pro has an excellent battery life that lasts plenty long when I'm traveling or somewhere without a power source.

3.) App integration & App store - I wasn't sure how I'd like this but it's amazing. For example the upgrade to Lion, one click and it's download away. Next thing I know I walk back in a bit and I'm upgraded to Lion.

4.) A point from 3 is with the App integration I can get quality software that will work with zero compatibility issues.

5.) iMovie - For a free application to do simple video editing this is a great application. I also use Final Cut Pro, but for most simple stuff iMovie is more than sufficient. (What type of video editing software comes with Windows?)

6.) Facetime integration - If I want to chat with any of my co workers throughout the day I can use either iChat to their iPhone, iPad or Mac. This is also useful if I want to share my screen or look at an employees screen to discuss anything going on directly on their end.

7.) Ability to maintain simultaneous connections - My primary network runs via Ethernet, but I can also run a WiFi network to simulate network issues for troubleshooting or to test new hardware. Likewise I can use WiFi as primary and Ethernet as secondary. In fact, I can change the entire preference order complete with USB or Bluetooth if I want to tether my iPhone without disrupting other active connections.

8.) Time Machine - Windows can't compete with Time Machine plain and simple, I can see each virtual back up of my OS and easily restore to any point in time.

9.) Screenflow - Probably the slickest application ever made for doing screen records, which come in handy when I'm making different tutorial videos.

10.) Keynote and Pages - Two essential applications that I use that completely blow away software like Powerpoint.

11.) Magic Mouse - If you've never used on you'll never realize why you don't need 20 buttons on your mouse.

12.) Ability to to create PDF docs - If I need to email a client a blueprint or invoice I can easily convert the file to a PDF for emailing.

13.) Preview - Base photo editor that allows for a variety of image formats with quick annotation and editing.

The upfront costs of a Windows computer will obviously be cheaper initially, but you don't get any production software included in the box. Not to mention the cost of the operating system is significantly higher. For instance:

Windows 7 Professional Upgrade: $174.99 (NewEgg)
Mac OSX Lion Upgrade: $29.99 (App Store)

That cost alone adds $145 to the cost of being a PC owner, which you'll incur every 2-3 years if you wish to stay current (That adds up over time - Do the math) Not to mention the fact that if you want to do video editing, you need to find even more software to bring your Windows computer up to speed (Again another additional cost).

Now, lets talk about Anti Virus software. Wait a minute, I've got a Mac and I don't have any... Running Windows without any anti virus software is suicide, which means you can download free software or pay $30-60/yr for "protection" (again another cost).

Again, why Mac? It's simple, it works and gives me everything I need to get my job done. I own PC's too, but this whole mentality about you get "So much more" for your money is redundant.

Hardware spec's are pretty irrelevant when you're comparing completely different operating systems. My 2.26Ghz MacBook Pro running 4Ghz of 1066Mhz DDR3 with a 5400RPM hard drive boots 20 seconds faster than my 3.6Ghz Core 2 Duo on a 7200RPM with 8GB of 1066Mhz DDR2. If you simply looked at the spec's you'd think my Desktop would blow the MacBook Pro out of the water.

To each his own, but keep in mind there are people that there are people out there that don't have time to mess around with 100 different software apps when they can buy a Mac that includes everything most people need in the box.

You're telling me Mac OS 10 doesn't support Adobe Flash?

Wow. The ignorance here is astounding.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1096788 said:
1.) Quality - Sleek Unibody design ...
2.) Battery Life
My Dell laptop (provided by work) has excellent battery life... I don't think that the design of the actual thing is too terribly bad, Mac don't have a monopoly on designers.
to be honest, the old white macbooks design was done first by Sony, the new brushed aluminium design has been done before also -with varieties of success.
4.) A point from 3 is with the App integration I can get quality software that will work with zero compatibility issues.
I can't recall the last time I had to mess about with any software, or had any compatibility issues. (or blue screen, or crash.)
The trouble here is that some applications are badly written, to be honest, as soon as Macs have as many bad applications. Then there will be compatibility issues...
5.) iMovie - For a free application to do simple video editing this is a great application. I also use Final Cut Pro, but for most simple stuff iMovie is more than sufficient. (What type of video editing software comes with Windows?)
windows movie maker, which is just about good enough to string together a few clips of videos into a longer video, it's good enough for home move makers, not good for anything else. I don't think that this criticism is fair though. (I mean MS can't even bundle a web browser without being forced to give adverts for competitors).

it'd be interesting to see what happens if Apple keep growing as much as they are.

will they spend ten years in courts fighting to try to give away applications, (even though giving away applications for free erodes the commercial market place for similar applications). or will they be forced to prop up that commercial market place either by just stripping out applications, or having built in adverts for other applications?

6.) Facetime integration - If I want to chat with any of my co workers throughout the day I can use either iChat to their iPhone, iPad or Mac. This is also useful if I want to share my screen or look at an employees screen to discuss anything going on directly on their end.
I use Skype -which is now owned by MS, it has all of these things, as well as chat applications available for pretty much all smart phones (not just iphones).

7.) Ability to maintain simultaneous connections - My primary network runs via Ethernet, but I can also run a WiFi network to simulate network issues for troubleshooting or to test new hardware. Likewise I can use WiFi as primary and Ethernet as secondary. In fact, I can change the entire preference order complete with USB or Bluetooth if I want to tether my iPhone without disrupting other active connections.
not sure where you're going there, windows lets you work with multiple network interfaces too...

8.) Time Machine - Windows can't compete with Time Machine plain and simple, I can see each virtual back up of my OS and easily restore to any point in time.
have you used the latest windows backup tools? they are a lot better than they ever have been before.

12.) Ability to to create PDF docs - If I need to email a client a blueprint or invoice I can easily convert the file to a PDF for emailing.
I can do that too, I just press print from within any application and I've got a PDF file.

The upfront costs of a Windows computer will obviously be cheaper initially, but you don't get any production software included in the box. Not to mention the cost of the operating system is significantly higher. For instance:

Windows 7 Professional Upgrade: $174.99 (NewEgg)
Mac OSX Lion Upgrade: $29.99 (App Store)

That cost alone adds $145 to the cost of being a PC owner, which you'll incur every 2-3 years if you wish to stay current (That adds up over time - Do the math) Not to mention the fact that if you want to do video editing, you need to find even more software to bring your Windows computer up to speed (Again another additional cost).
that's a nice bit of misdirection.
$30 for each version of OSX. really?

lets actually do the maths here and test your claim...
since the turn of the cenury there have been 3 versions of windows
windows XP, windows Vista and windows 7.
By my reconing, that's cost ~$525 (assuming that they all cost $175 -I don't know, I've not bought vista, I use 7 at work, and the version of XP I have is still a lingering MSDNAA license (so I've never personally paid for windows, but do use it legally.)

There have been 9 versions of OSX.
but they didn't all cost $30

the first Beta cost $30 (yes, you pay apple to beta test their software),
the first public release (cheetah) If I recall correctly was priced around the $150 mark? (on march 2001)
the upgrade to puma cost $130 (on September 2001)

Snow leopard still costs $70, with the upgrade costing $30

just those that I can actually remember or find prices for is $400.
in between then there were also jaguar, panther, tiger and leopard. lets say that they were all only $30 each, -because I don't remember the price. that's another $120...

so to own every version of windows since 2001 would cost you ~$525
to own every version of OSX since 2001 would cost you ~$520 (I haven't included the price of the beta software).

you'd have also had to upgrade a total of 7 times, (as opposed to 3)...

Also, I doubt that apple charged $130 for the upgrade to Puma and then thought that they'd drop the price to only $30 less than a year later. basically, I think that this interim upgrade would cost a lot more than $30, probably more realistically at the $100 mark, which actually makes the cost of the Mac software even more expensive!

Now, lets talk about Anti Virus software. Wait a minute, I've got a Mac and I don't have any... Running Windows without any anti virus software is suicide, which means you can download free software or pay $30-60/yr for "protection" (again another cost).
I don't run AV on any windows machine I've ever had, and I've never gotten a virus.

also in this day in age viruses for Macs are becoming more prevalent.
partly caused by the fact that worms just seemingly don't exist any more, only Trojans, and you can change the OS, but you can't change the user, people will still open those attachments that claim to be winning lottery tickets for the Spanish lottery or whatever -i.e. people are stupid and complacent. -the stupidest thing about those I'm a Mac and I never get a virus adverts is that it just helps to breed the complacency that's the biggest part of the problem.

Again, why Mac? It's simple, it works and gives me everything I need to get my job done.
And this is exactly what I like about Macs too.

The long and the short of it is that Macs are more expensive, but they are worth the money. it'll be interesting to see how the future pans out.

The long and the short of it is that Macs are more expensive, but they are worth the money. it'll be interesting to see how the future pans out.
This. Or more accurately (in my book) they may be more expensive, but to some they're worth the money. To other's (people that are quite happy with windows and don't feel a need for a mac at all) they're not worth paying any more for, and for others (people who need to use applications that run on a mac, people that hate macos, etc.) they wouldn't buy a mac perhaps even if it was significantly cheaper.

Different people need different tools to do different jobs. That's what it boils down to.

What...? You realise you can't just switch between desktop and laptop parts, right?

It's a Macbook Pro, not a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is a desktop computer.

Sigh.

Ok fine:

Here you go:

I5 Mobile :Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2520M Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Boost) 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache Socket G2 35W Dual-Core Mobile Processor Model BX80627i52520M = 249$ (its even faster)
HDD : Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive - 49.99
Ram : Newegg.com - Crucial 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model CT51264BC1339 - a whopping 26.99
Mobo: What tops 200?
GFX: Tops 300?

Do I need to go on..

Newegg.com - ASUS G74 Series G74SX-3DE Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 1333 1.5TB HDD 7200rpm Blu-Ray Burner NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1,899
SPECS: Brand

erating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz
Screen
17.3"
Memory Size
12GB DDR3
Hard Disk
1.5TB
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray Burner
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Video Memory
3GB GDDR5

Thats what, 2500+$ for a Mac? yep.

Ok we can get into Battery Life. You got me there.

You can talk reliability all you want...and I'll point to the millions, and millions of P.C users who are still using their xp machines from 10 years ago.. in fact a lot businesses still do that. In fact my U.S Government place of business just replaced their 9 year old Dell's running p4's or p3s running xp.

And, while we are on the subject Apple recently starting using, intel, and common mobos, hdds and not APPLE stuff like they used too.. so reliability? Its all the same hardware. You are paying for the O.S and thats it. Seriously. Oh, and the battery. Totally worth the 1500$ extra.

However, I do apologize for not recognizing that apple supports flash, except for the iphone/ipad/ipod and my sisters mac that runs os 10. which is suppose to support flash?

However, I do apologize for not recognizing that apple supports flash, except for the iphone/ipad/ipod and my sisters mac that runs os 10. which is suppose to support flash?

You really have no idea what you're talking about, don't you?

This. Or more accurately (in my book) they may be more expensive, but to some they're worth the money. To other's (people that are quite happy with windows and don't feel a need for a mac at all) they're not worth paying any more for, and for others (people who need to use applications that run on a mac, people that hate macos, etc.) they wouldn't buy a mac perhaps even if it was significantly cheaper.

Different people need different tools to do different jobs. That's what it boils down to.
Personally for me it wasn't so much about the operating system choice . I was picking a laptop and the operating system was irrelevant .I didn't have any os specific applications or tasks and I knew i was a pretty computer literate person and learn pretty quickly so windows or mac I would have been fine . was making a quality and aesthetic choice with my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom