Water cooling

desdichato

Baseband Member
Hi Guys,

I am just about ready to plug in a computer I have been building but because it is water cooled I am somewhat reluctant to plug it in and hope for the best.

Over the last few days I have had water in the tank BUT it is not under working conditions and I was wondering does anyone know of anyway to test for leaks (under working pressures/conditions) before I actually get half way through a program and have the computer short circuit????

Thanks

P

Is the cooling system running off of your power supply, or through its own power system? If you have a separate power system, one of the first things you should do is test the system by powering it on (without any power going to the PC components). If you have a system that uses the PC's power, you can bypass the system startup by disconnecting the ATX power plug from the motherboard, and then either using a power supply tester tool (the kind that plugs into the power connector) or by shorting the green and black cords on the power plug (they're immediately next to each other, and they don't carry current, so you won't hurt yourself) with a paperclip, the system power will turn on and start your components.

I would do one thing if you have to go the last route (short the pins). Disconnect the power supply from everything but the cooling pump / system. Unplug all hard drives, CDROMs, motherboard auxiliary power connector, video card, etc. That way if you DO have a leak, it won't hit any charged components in the system. Then you can just shut it off by pulling the plug or taking the paper clip out, and cleaning things up, fixing the leak, and allowing the system to dry (a box fan aimed at the case overnight should help too) and then giving it a go again. If there's no leaks, plug everything back in and fire it up.

You shouldn't be using water at all, and if you bought good coolant, then it shouldn't be conductive.

You shouldn't be using water at all, and if you bought good coolant, then it shouldn't be conductive.

Distilled water+biocide is perfectly fine.

Unplug your power supply from everything except your pump. Jumpstart your powersupply with a paper clip going from the green wire to any black wire on your 24-pin cable that goes to the motherboard. This starts the pump, but leaves everything else unpowered, eliminating the risk of damaging components. Run this for several hours to make sure there aren't any small leaks.

Distilled water+biocide is perfectly fine.

Unplug your power supply from everything except your pump. Jumpstart your powersupply with a paper clip going from the green wire to any black wire on your 24-pin cable that goes to the motherboard. This starts the pump, but leaves everything else unpowered, eliminating the risk of damaging components. Run this for several hours to make sure there aren't any small leaks.

Won't a fluid made specifically for computer cooling work better though? Not to mention that the second any contaminants get to the water from the air or anything, it'll be conductive again, no?

Won't a fluid made specifically for computer cooling work better though? Not to mention that the second any contaminants get to the water from the air or anything, it'll be conductive again, no?

Most of them are just Ethylene Glycol (the stuff used in automotive antifreeze) mixed with water and UV dyes for color, so it's not anything special really. If you have pets I'd avoid it on the off-chance you happen to spring a leak since the stuff is poisonous. Both will become conductive over time though from impurities in water blocks, metal fittings, and other metal parts.

Most of them are just Ethylene Glycol (the stuff used in automotive antifreeze) mixed with water and UV dyes for color, so it's not anything special really. If you have pets I'd avoid it on the off-chance you happen to spring a leak since the stuff is poisonous. Both will become conductive over time though from impurities in water blocks, metal fittings, and other metal parts.

Huh. I stand corrected then.

I know Grantofhell likes to use premade coolants, so he has differing views compared to me.

Back
Top Bottom