Monitor/PC help

datsyuk

Beta member
Going to be ordering my computer in a few days and need a little direction.

First problem is the monitor I am going to be choosing. First off, LCD vs LED? I want to use this monitor for gaming on both my computer and xbox and have no response lag what so ever.

Here is my current build:

Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

What does everyone think? I am going to be using my nvidia 9800gtx graphic card I currently have in this computer.

Any motherboard recommendations or will that one be just fine?

Note: This computer is going be a hackintosh, that's why the build is pretty much the way it is I'm going to be throwing osx on it so I need to make sure it will be able to run that for sure but perform the best it can as well.

LED is a thinner monitor, tends to have a more vibrant picture, and a good response time. Of course in getting an LED you will likely be paying more as it is newer technology, which really aside from weight, can be handled just as well by its LCD counterpart.
LCD is a little bit less eco friendly, runs a bit hotter, but will also run you about $100 if not more cheaper than a good sized LED monitor.

As for your build:
-CD/DVD Drive: I would recommend a Lite-On CD/DVD burner, they tend to be more reliable than Sony Optarics (and this is coming from someone who uses both a Lite-On DVD/CD Burner and a Sony Optaric Blu-Ray Player/Burner so no bias, just the truth)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
-Case: That is a fantastic case, unless you can afford a Cooler Master Haf X, I would most certainly stick with that Antec 900
-HD: I do not recommend Seagate, their old drives were fantastic, and directly on par with Western Digital, unfortunately in the past few years their parts have began getting outsourced, thus their drives have had more issues now. I would recommend a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB or 2TB FASS Drive, they are extremely fast for a standard sata connected hard drive, and very reliable.
-PSU: I don't know much about the quality of OCZ's power supply units, this to me is a problem in and of itself. You do not want to cheap out on a PSU as it is what stands between your system working right or not. I would recommend the Corsair Enthusiast Series Power supply line, they use high end parts in their new builds (do not get the older models as they were unfortunately using parts from other companies and having issues) You pay a bit extra for it, but would you rather your system fry out and have to rebuild the entire thing again for about 10x the extra cost? Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
-Monitor: Very solid monitor, my buddy uses three of those in a tri setup and I actually considered buying a couple for my 6 screen setup, very reliable, very sturdy, great picture, and overall good price. The monitor will also have no response lag as that is right about the specs of my 2 2709m 27" Hp monitors have and I use them for games such as Street Fighter, Tekken 6, and Skate 3 all of which rely on no lag.

Motherboard, Processor, and VGA Ill allow others to give advice on, I don't like buying overpriced items when I can save money for the same performance ;)

Hope it helps :)

LED is a thinner monitor, tends to have a more vibrant picture, and a good response time. Of course in getting an LED you will likely be paying more as it is newer technology, which really aside from weight, can be handled just as well by its LCD counterpart.
LCD is a little bit less eco friendly, runs a bit hotter, but will also run you about $100 if not more cheaper than a good sized LED monitor.

No such thing as a LED monitor for consumers.

No such thing as a LED monitor for consumers.

Scuse me, "LED Backlit", my apologies. And it depends on if he wants to go for a monitor because if he felt in the mood to spend money he could purchase an LED Television and connect it via HDMI

Thanks for such the great replies. Is the LED backlight monitor would be a not better any recommendations guys? I have a cooler master 650watt on my old pc I may switch out with my older computer if I get the 500 listed here to save some money. Will those western digital hdds work with osx? I know its picky with the mobo processor and hard drives to properly run.

Was going to say... these LED Backlit monitors on my desk would seem to counteract our Binary buddy's response, but I see what he meant by it. ;)

The Western Digital HD's should work with OSX.
As to the LED Backlit vs. an LCD the only different will be brightness and weight really. I would say go for a larger size LCD monitor over the backlit one. Or look into a LED TV if you truly want that capability (though it has a price tag on average of over $1000)

The LED monitors we use at work (and previously mentioned) aren't expensive at all - on par with most other LCD monitors, so the gap is definitely not as much as it used to be. Larger monitor sizes are usually blown out of proportion though, in any tech.

Guys thank you all so much for the help. I actually went ahead and ordered everything I had listed in the first post today and it was already shipped and will possibly be here tomorrow haha got to love newegg. I'm hoping I will get osx running with no problems with tony macs method.

Back
Top Bottom