BUDGET gaming rig

eh i already bought the lite-on drive because it came with a good deal with my hard drive. but hopefully i won't have any problems with it. do u think i will have a problem?

You won't have a problem, I use roughly 4 of them in my home and 3 of them at work. You won't have an issue. I'll personally guarantee that.

To somewhat alleviate your bias against the Lite-On Drives, I personally have owned 3 Sony optical drives (2x dvd burners 1x blu ray), 2 Samsung drives (2x dvd burners) and now around 7 of the newer Lite ons (all dvd rw burners for my PC's in the workplace and home). Out of these drives a total of 2 Sony Drives, 2 Samsung Drives, and no Lite On Drives have died. These drives were all running concurrent to each other over the past 6 years or so (with the exception of my most recent one for my home pc).

So somehow, I believe when I say "Hey OP, get a Lite-On Drive" that my information is somewhat reliable and or valid over my experiences with the other brands. The only Sony I have seen hold up so far over my travels (need to move from school to home at times a 8 hour bouncy car ride) is my Sony Optaric Blu-Ray Drive, the other 2 had lens trouble after a single trip (two Sony drives). The Samsungs which died, lost the motor power on the tray and would not open. My Lite-On Drive being the newest one (not one of the ones from 6 or so years ago) has been able to withstand my bouncy car rides, massive amounts of use (burning and regular dvd or cd disc usage) and has held up for around 2 years thus far without even a hint of dying or having problems (no noises, quick load times, etc).

Just telling the OP that he has something to worry about when you haven't personally tried the newer models is somewhat silly. But at the end of the day it is his decision :)

But I HAVE tried the newer models. They're dead too.

I, of all people, try to remember that what one person sees can be different, but in my case, several friends were experiencing the same problem, and then again with the drives at our job. We don't trust them right now because of that, and some of them were as recent as last year.

okay so i put the whole computer together and it booted up with everything working. but when i tried to install my windows xp professional cd it started to install but went to the blue screen of death.
Here is the message:
check for virusees on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have no clue what is wrong. The hard drive is recognized and is shown in the BIOS. Also i'm not completely sure if the cables are wrong but i have an L cable from the hard drive to the sata port in the motherboard and a power cable from the PSU. I'm not sure how i would run chkdsk if i can't even get into windows. and i don't know how to run the computer in safe mode. Any help would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom