Help me upgrade my pc please.

dmilo08

Beta member
Ok first let me thank everybody who helps me out!!So with that said,I want to upgrade my pc for gameing I need/would like a new MOB,CPU,GPU.. dont want to spend no more than $500/600. or should I JUST BUY A NEW PC??? ohh I mainly want it nice and ready for BF3.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Mainboard Biostar T560 A2+
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Memory DDR2 4096 Mbytes
650w ATX power supply Windows 7 64Bit
Thanks again

Not all is lost!, Your computer can be upgraded very easily.
WARNING! Please update your bios to the latest version before preforming this upgrade. Your computer may fail to boot while using an AM3 CPU.
Since the cpu is the low point of this machine, we're going to start there.
Assuming that your AM2 cooler is not in unusable condition, this should work fine.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor HDZ720WFK3DGI - Processors - Desktops

I've never seen Memory and power supplies have much of an effect on gaming, so up next is the graphics, the 9600gt isn't bad but it ain't great.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

That has Direct X 11, so you can use it now.

Optional: While memory doesn't effect gameplay much, it does effect it, the fastest you can get is 1066mhz on that am2 board. Having a low latency will speed it up a little. You also have 64 bit windows, so it might help to have more than 4gb.

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2T1K2/4G

Order another set if you feel you need more.

Edit: With all these changes, it might upset windows. I've never seen this on Win 7, but on Xp and Vista, it might require you to re activate windows.

ya should work fine, this should be the right amont of ram. 2GB min just to run Windows 7, put another 2-6 GB of ram for the more hungry games. You GPU is good same with your CPU.

Sigh. Most of Panzer's post is a shot in the dark as to what can be had in this case.

Assuming the power supply in your system isn't some low blow cheap piece of tin with wiring in it (aka, no-name OEM stuff) you should be able to reconstruct the system nicely.

A triple core processor, especially one that is slower than the Athlon 64 X2 6000 isn't going to help things out. Yes, you added another core with that chip, but the 200 MHz frequency drop on an AMD platform isn't going to be helpful. If it were Intel, I'd be ok with it.

I've done the upgrade from the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and it's a very powerful chip in its own right. There are two ways to go from here.

If you want forward thinking, upgrade the motherboard, CPU, RAM and Video card. If you just want to maximize performance, keep the CPU, throw in a new GPU and call it good. It really depends on what you want to do. We use a couple of the X2 6000+'s at my LAN parties as spare gaming systems, and they keep up just fine as long as they have a high end card in them.

Here's my recommendation on an upgrade, should you choose to go that route:

Since Bulldozer is just around the corner, there's no reason to not upgrade to an AM3+ motherboard if you're building new.

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Processor:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX

Memory:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS

GPU:
Newegg.com - PowerColor AX6790 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

The graphics card alone is 10 times more powerful than your current card, and coupled with a high end AM3 Quad Core will likely push you through until Bulldozer prices come down to the point that you can upgrade if you want.

The pricetag for all of this? $370.96.

If your power supply is a no-name 650 watt unit, you'll want to get a name brand unit ASAP, expect to tack on another $60 for a good Antec or Corsair unit. Not bad considering how much they used to be. I wouldn't go with anything less than a name brand Power supply unit.

Panzer's approach is a little too conservative considering what you can get right now with more high end parts.

The parts I reference are on Newegg, so if you live outside of the USA, you'll have to let us know so we can adjust the parts/pricing for you.

Yeah that 840 looks good. If you've got the 6000 BE(questioning existence atm), you could set the multi up 1 or 2, or higher if you've got a good cooler on it.

Back
Top Bottom