HDMI to USB or laptop alternative?

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I REALLY like how some of the Alienware laptops have HDMI inputs that allow you to plug an xBox or PS3 or whatever into it and use the monitor as a screen. I've never seen that before on a laptop and it's a big selling point for me...despite the overall cost of the Alienware and the size of it.

If I could have that functionality on a smaller, less expensive laptop, that would rock.

This got me wondering wondering, is there was a way to add this functionality to another laptop? Maybe through USB? I've only been able to find HDMI to Displayport adapters and I don't know of any machines off hand (other than Macs) that have displayports.

Are there even any other Laptops that do this?

Well, if you buy one of the lower end systems that doesn't have the HDMI port that supports this (I haven't seen it myself yet, but it makes sense if the HDMI port is set up so that it accepts incoming as well as output) make sure you can find a laptop with the new ExpressCard slot, and then buy an ExpressCard Capture device - TV Tuner cards usually work well in a pinch. It's not the same quality as HDMI, but it would serve the same purpose at least in the visual sense. If the laptop has an input jack on the sound card, or supports it through a software passthrough on that tuner card (I think it probably will) then you're golden.

Back
Top Bottom