[Help] What should a modern 'for school' laptop have/require?

I really like that dual Dell. One major factor for me is the fact that it runs Win 7 so it's compatible with the software I run on my desktop machine.

I'm kind of interested in buying a Lenovo brand laptop, any suggestions? Perfer 15'' to 18'', hopefully lightweight although I've been looking around and usually laptops around 15'' are around 5.5-6 lbs

I would suggest at least an i-5 processor, 4GB RAM minimum and a 7200 RPM drive, graphics depends on if you want to play games, otherwise save your money and buy a desktop when you finish college. any of them around $500 to $600 will get you through college, but if you want to play games you are talking $2000. And that would be better spent on a desktop which you can upgrade. With a laptop you are stuck with what you get, the only thing in a laptop you can upgrade is the hard drive and memory till its maxed. Also make sure you get WiFi as all campuses basically have that now. Best advice, go to Best Buy and try one out (any brand) that has similar features and price to what you want and see if you think you will be ok with it. I just bought an Alienware Aurora R3 for $1700 (Desktop) with an i-5 2300 overclocked to 3.3 GHz, 16GB RAM, 2 MB DDR5 6950 GPU, and I couldn't be happier. Averaging 150 to 160 fps in CoD Modern Warfare 2 and can always add a 2nd card in SLI later down the road. Of course I cant take it around town, but that wasn't my need.

PS: If it's basically typing and running a few programs stay in the $600 dollar range and spend the extra money on an extended warranty, campus life is rough with all the dorm parties :) lol

Ouch. Misinformation abounds here.

Let me clear some things up.

Sony & Toshiba can't honor their warranty claims. I've dealt with both first hand both professionally and personally. Never, ever, ever again. I recommend, HIGHLY, that you do the same.

There's no such thing as "too powerful for college" - really, what's the idea behind this? If the price of the system fits the budget, why is buying more power than you need a bad thing? It just means that in 2 years or so when the system has "aged" you won't need to pull the upgrade trigger very soon. You should ALWAYS buy as much processor power, RAM, disk space and video capability as you can afford.

I also disagree with the whole "buy a desktop when you finish" - Laptops are infinitely more useful today than they were 5 years ago. Even 2 years ago. Performance deltas, especially with Intel i3 and i5 based laptops are much closer to desktop performance than most people give them credit for. I use a Core 2 Duo in my laptop, and coupled with an SSD for the boot drive, it is indistinguishable between my performance desktop PC in most tasks (as seen in my siggy below)

That being said, a laptop with a price point of $600 is going to be plenty for most people unless you want to use it for gaming, then spend the extra money and get a REAL video card like a Radeon or GeForce. Do not, and I repeat this with blood on my fangs, DO NOT BUY INTO INTEL'S CRAPPY "GRAPHICS". You WILL be disappointed down the line. I have first hand experience here too. I wish Intel's graphics ambitions would die like Osama Bin Laden. Same style too. Meh.

Going to Best Buy to try one out is a good idea, just don't let them talk you into a sale. You can do much better online, and even when you call a vendor. Just mentioning that you're a student will often incur heavy discounts. My Dell XPS M1530 was normally $2200 brand new (because of what I loaded it with) but I got it for $1400 just because I gave them my school's name and my school code. (info varies, definitely check with your school before you're ready to buy, just in case they also have discounts available)

Lenovo is a decent brand - I trust the systems now more than I did the IBM counterparts. Lenovo fortunately knows more about laptops than IBM ever did. We use them at work, and they're pretty decent. Just be sure, as I said, to avoid like the plague, ANY and ALL Intel graphics solutions (Intel Graphics "Accelerators" are NOT accelerators. ;) )

I'm still hazy on HP, they've had some Quality Control issues in the past few years, but I haven't heard anything overly negative about them in the past 6 months.

Yes, integrated graphics is not the way to go if you can afford more. In the end buy whatever satisfies your needs. I've owned laptops that were decent at gaming and even had one for work that I did 3D modeling on, it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom