Which Graphics Card? (under £99)

yacob6

Beta member
Im looking at buying a new graphics card for my computer for around £80-£100. I was wondering weather anyone could recommend one.

Computer Spec:
Windows 7
i3 2.93 GHz
4 Gb RAM
H55 Chipset Motherboard

Thanks.

Keeping your price point in mind, without going over budget, aim for either a Radeon HD 6770 (or a 5770 if you can snag a deal, they're the same card other than some firmware tweaks on the 6770) or a GeForce GTX 465. You didn't specify what your intended use is, so these are gaming-centered cards that offer the most performance for the pound. ;)

If you want something just for accelerating basic Windows performance, just about anything out there that's £30-60 will do the trick. They're all pretty fast these days.

Thanks for the reply i do want a new card to increase performance for gaming so i will keep your suggests in mind and check out the best deals. Thanks.

I second the HD 6670 but would stay away from the GTX 465.

You might want to look at the THG article on the best video cards for the money, updated monthly to reflect new prices and new cards. Note that it includes links a very brief description of the performance level of the card - you can read these to quickly see what range best matches your budget and card performance - plus links to reviews with detailed performance benchmarks, most often with comparisons to other cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,2997.html

You could look at the couple of models in your price range and translate the prices into what your vendors charge.

For more general information about video card selection, I recommend looking at this web site which provides guidance on defining what you want in a video card and what your system allows:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/criteria.html

More specifically, the size of the power unit frequently limits video card upgrades. What is the make and model of your PSU?

I haven't been a big fan of the 465 either, but for someone's budget is limited, you have to work with what they've got.

yacob6, buy a new power supply too. I can't find anything good about Novatech. I've never heard of them prior to this post either, so my homework seems to correlate with my impression (bad!)

Back
Top Bottom