Computer shuts down

Run the GPU Z utility from the link I provided earlier, it will tell you the manufacturer of the graphics card and what type of card it is. You can then go the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers directly from them. That is always the best way.
And updating Windows automatically does not update your graphic card drivers automatically, just your operating system. When you run the utility the information you need will be on the first tab in the section "Name:"
Write that down, you will usually find it on the manufacturers website under support, although some have a tab directly for drivers.

Ran the GPU-Z.
it gave me the driver version: ati2mtag 6.14.10.6426 (catalyst 4.3) / XP
everywhere i go to try and download, i come to a dead end. so no update yet.

Yah, that's an error message. Start here.
AMD Graphics Drivers & Software
Select the auto detect and install for the 2nd option, will be a bigger file, but will get you what you need. If this doesn't work then your card is likely going out or overclocked and overheating.

tried 2nd option. Downloaded and ran amddriverdownloader. Got message: 2/We were unable to find your product or OS.
Yesterday I did connect a 17" flat screen monitor. Also set the desktop display properties to 'none' and set the display settings to '1152 by 864' and the machine (monitor) did not shut off all day.

could be your monitor then. But the error message you got (ati2mtag 6.14.10.6426) is usually related to the video card, but maybe the monitor was causing it. Try running the cpu z with the monitor that works and let me know what it says under the name and well get you the right drivers.

The GPU-Z reads as follows:
Name: ATI FireGLX1 (Microsoft Corporation)
GPU: R300
Technology: 150 nm
Die Size: 218 mm2
Release Date: 2002
Transistor: 107M
BIOS Version: (C) 1988-2003, ATI Technologies Inc. BK-GER VER...
Device ID: 1002 - 4E47
Subvendor: ATI (1002)
ROPs: 8
Bus Interface: AGP 8x @ 8x
Shaders: 8 Pixel / 4 Vertex
DirectX Support: 9.0 / SM2.0
Pixel FIllrate: 2.6 GPixel/s
Texture Fillrate: 2.6 GT exel/s
Memory Type: DDR
Bus Width: 256
Memory Size: 128 MB
Bandwidth: 19.9 GB/s
Driver Version: ati2mtag 6.14.10.6462 (Catalyst 4.3) / XP
GPU Clock: 324 MHz
Memory 311 MHz
Default Clock: 325 MHz
Memory: 310 MHz
ATI CrossFire: Disabled

Your GPU is an ATI FireGL X1 R300. This should take care of your driver.
ATI Drivers for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7
Although since you were able to run the GPU Z with a different monitor it could be a monitor issue and not graphic card related, although updating your drivers certainly will not hurt anything.
You can also get the entire catalyst suite here, or just the drivers. The first link contains only the drivers.
ATI Catalyst
I would download the entire suite and then try the other monitor again, if it still causes problems then likely it is monitor related.

Is it possible to download a driver for free?
Anyone of these sites I get are asking for a credit card.

Make Windows Driver Hassles a Thing of the Past!

limited-offer-tag.png

$10.00 Off the regular retail price

Now Only $39.95 $29.95

I can't afford the $30.00

I downloaded the Catalyst Software Suite, started to install it and got this message:
'setup did not find driver compatible with your current system'

Back
Top Bottom