Whats the most important thing to look for when buying a gaming laptop?

SimpsonKnight

Solid State Member
Hey ComputerForums.org, this is my first time posting here so please excuse any dumb questions or comments. So I am thinking about buying a gaming laptop and I've been doing some research and I have a few questions cause I am not the best with computers. For example, I dont really get how CPU strength is measured. So here (Battalion 101 X8100-U3 2011 - TopTenREVIEWS) is the gaming computer that placed at the top of this site's list of the best gaming laptops out there but if you look at its specifications, it only has a 1.73 GHz processor. Dont most games require like a 2.5 GHz processor? So what kind of processor do you need to run most current mainstream games? If anyone could explain this to me, that would be awesome. Also, what is generally the most important feature to look out for in a gaming laptop?

Processor speed is only relevant if you live in the 90's. In all seriousness, look at the CPU generation (i7, Phenom II, etc) and the number of cores (X2, X4, X6, etc) and the clock speed LAST. For the record, I've never heard of "top ten reviews" and as such, I don't trust it at all.

If you want to buy a gaming laptop, you need to tell us what your budget is, and then we can match you up with one that we know will work based on standards in the industry. Believe it or not, most laptops are the same, it's just a different brand name on a slightly different chassis with varying degrees of clock speed and side perks. There's really no reason to rely on "best of" sites, especially these days.

most important would be performance vs heat.
Find the fastest one that runs cooler.

Yeah most games require a 2.5ghz dualcore to run good but laptops cant go more than that or they will overheat.
You cant add fans to a laptop and all the parts are cramped together.
The one you posted is an i7 quad core and im sure even at only 1.5ghz it still runs fast.
However, it has two HD 5870s in crossfire that requires a lot of power.
I suggest looking for a gaming laptop that only has one videocard instead of two so you have longer battery life.

Look at this one
GT683.html
MSI Global – Notebook - GT683

If you buy a gaming laptop, your main concern isn't battery life, in all honesty. Makers of true gaming laptops even state that the batteries are more of a backup power source in case the power goes out while you're gaming.

More than enough. You can get a fairly decent i3/i5 powered laptop with dedicated graphics for that much. Do you have a vendor preference, or just anyone with the right hardware/price?

Thats definatelly good to hear. No, I dont really have a vendor preference. I heard that Alienware is pretty good, right? Also, what about Dell which is pretty mainstream? I dont really know very much about these brands so ya, no vendor preference. One thing though, and this is a very minor thing and not a big deal if its unavoidable but I dont really want one of those super pimped out laptops, you know, with tons of lights and decorations and stuff. Something a bit more professional looking would be best, but once again not a big deal if its not.

Alienware is overpriced and more of a "name" now rather than strait performance (yes they are good computers but there are other laptops on the market that can easily match or surpass them for half of the cost).

In terms of things you need to look at, I will agree to look at number of cores with clock speed, look to have a name brand video card that isnt just the "company brand special"...What this would mean is if you see a laptop selling with a "Radeon 68XX series video card" for $700 or a laptop selling with a "brand of pc integrated graphics" for $600, spend the extra money.

Look into 4GB+ of ram, and if possible DDR3 cause that would be best for gaming.

Look into good ventilation as well on the laptop.

Look into good battery length, just in case you wanna game on the move.

CPU:AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition Deneb
or : Intel i7 with high FSB above 1.73 Ghz Series will work smoothly for your gaming requirements
GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA Geforce latest available
VGA : high quality resolution..

In terms of CPUs, I still dont really get them. How can a 1.73 GHz CPU play games with a requirement of >2.5GHz? Is it because, hypothetically, the 1.73 GHz CPU is, for example, quadcore meaning its actually like a 6.92 GHz CPU?

Back
Top Bottom