two identical video cards - what's the difference?

timbo1

Solid State Member
In an earlier post I asked for some information on which card I needed. I finally decided on the EVGA GTS 450. I was about to order the 1351 model, selling for $90 after rebate, when another one came to my attention, the 1352 model, for $75 after rebate (plus free shipping) which appears absolutely identical in specifications. Here they are at Newegg (ignore the price that's currently showing for the 1352, elsewhere on the site it comes up a different price, and Newegg said they'd give it to me at the cheaper price)

1351 - Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1351-KR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

1352 - Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1352-KR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

can someone enlighten me on why I simply shouldn't buy the 1352, because I can't see what I'm missing that should entice me to part with the extra for the 1351.

One is likely an updated firmware / microcode update card, but you're right, they are identical. Going with the cheaper one isn't going to hurt you performance wise.

Did a search on the manufacturers website and couldn't find the 01G-P3-1352-KR, so just go for the cheapest I say. Spec looks the same. Might be what you actually get in the box, but i don't know how to find that out other than email the supplier, could just be an administrative error.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
TecRant

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated. I put in an order for the cheaper one.

As you guys confirmed, they look absolutely identical, and as the 1352 looks like a later version judging by the number it may be just as Og stated, that it has some subtle improvements that don't show up in the specs. Why the pricing difference - the wonderful world of marketing and sales I guess!

Thanks again....Tim

Back
Top Bottom