Accidentally Touched the bottom of my intel CPU slightly

Thomas123456789

Solid State Member
I was cleaning thermal paste off of my intel cpu when I accidentally lightly touched the bottom of the cpu where the gold contacts are. I barely touched it but I have heard that CPUs are very easy to damage. Is there anything I should do to clean it off or something? Also what is the best way to store the CPU for about 2 wks? (The motherboard was DOA)I just use the plastic case it came with but are there any better ways?
Thanks in advance!!

and I have a odd outlook on computer components, Their not a fragile as some think they are.
if it is a pin-less cpu, just use a lint free cloth and wipe it off.
if its gots pins, just take your time with it.
as for storage, the plastic thing is fine, put a piece of tape on it and put it up somewhere.

Do not put tape on the processor itself. A light touch would likely not cause any harm. Just keep it in the shipping box and put it somewhere where it won't get tossed around.

If you have an anti-static bag use it, otherwise just place it in a bag and handle it as less as possible. The body builds up static charges, although that isn't too big of a concern until you go to reinstall the chip. If you do not have an anti-static band get one, they are very cheap $10 will get you one, and can be found at any radio shack, best buy, computer store, etc. I've worked on computers without them, but all it takes sometimes is one static discharge and you can fry something completely unrelated to what you are replacing and that could takes weeks to figure out if its what you were replacing that's bad or something completely different. It's always better safe than sorry. By themselves computer parts are not that fragile, you could toss your chip around and more than likely be ok, but then again all it takes sometimes is one little oopsie. A lint free cloth will work fine, I use the kind that is made for cleaning eyeglasses.

An intel cpu would be pin-less right? Should I put a bit of alcohol on the cloth too?

the newer Intel chips are pin-less. DON"T use any kind of solvent. electrical contact cleaner is what you should use, it's non-conductive. and ONLY if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom