PC speakers

Vantastic

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I want to watch videos and play my games of my PC speakers. Anyone know where i can get good speakers with a wirless remote?

I didn't want to put this in the general electricals since it says anything not pc related.

If you want a fantastic set of 5.1 THX Cert. speakers right out of the box, and have the funding to buy them then I would look into the Logitech Z-5500 Set. Comes with a wireless remote, 5.1 surround sound, bass control, treble control, 10" 500w RMS subwoofer. Its truly a great system and I can say this as it is what I have owned now for 2 years after both having "built" surround sound systems for my PC (Quality parts like Onkyo Receivers, and pre-built Bose systems), and cheaper end pc speaker sets.

*Note: I use these every day for my blu ray movies, games like Call of Duty MW2, Dirt 3, Left 4 Dead 2, X3: Terran Conflict, and even RPG Games like Oblivion & Divinity 2. I can tell you now that not only will they not disappoint, but will also end up exceeding your expectations due to the fact that it is near unheard of to have such performance from any other preboxed system on the market.

How much do you have to spend? I say get a secondhand home theater receiver, bookshelf speakers, and a sub.

Amazon.com: Dayton B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair: Electronics
Amazon.com: Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black): Electronics
Amazon.com: Sherwood RX-4105 2 x 100 Watt RMS Stereo Receiver (Black): Electronics

I guarantee you this will sound better than any multimedia PC speaker set for $230.

I would definitely put money on the fact that the Polk subwoofer you recommended with the speakers and receiver shown will not come close to a boxed Z-5500. My reasoning is that I have owned that subwoofer in the past and have used a receiver etc, and unless he plans to drop well into the $800-$1000 range for a multimedia home system then nothing can compare in price to value.

I would definitely put money on the fact that the Polk subwoofer you recommended with the speakers and receiver shown will not come close to a boxed Z-5500. My reasoning is that I have owned that subwoofer in the past and have used a receiver etc, and unless he plans to drop well into the $800-$1000 range for a multimedia home system then nothing can compare in price to value.

Maybe if you're strictly going for a 5.1 setup, but Logitech boxed sets (even their flagship models) aren't hard to beat. If your Polk sub sounded that bad then the crossover was set too high.

Here's the biggest problem with speaker sets like the Z5500: The speakers are too small. Because of this, they can't go very low, usually not much lower than 200hz. So what do you do? You have the subwoofer take over the job. When you do this, your bass gets muddy and your lower-mids get boomy. I believe the Z5500 has it's crossover set to 120hz. Ideally, you want it to be set to 80hz or lower, that way your bass is cleaner and you can't tell where the sub is coming from.

The speakers also don't have a tweeter, so they expect the satellite to cover it with just the speaker. This makes it harder for the speaker to cover the really high frequencies.

Don't get me wrong, for a 5.1 setup they're a good deal. But if you don't want/need surround, then I feel you're better off looking elsewhere.

Edit: I'm an idiot, the receiver I linked above doesn't even have a subwoofer out.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking to spend no more than $600. The Z5500 looks good and so does the reciever/speaker combo. Hmmn, not sure. I'm not going to commit to anything just yet. Probably in a few weeks as i'm saving for a car now so i have time to research.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking to spend no more than $600. The Z5500 looks good and so does the reciever/speaker combo. Hmmn, not sure. I'm not going to commit to anything just yet. Probably in a few weeks as i'm saving for a car now so i have time to research.

Just a note about the setup I linked, you can't hook up a sub to it. That was my mistake, you're going to have to get a receiver that supports a subwoofer out, and those are usually all 5.1 and will probably run you about $150 used. If you've got $600 to spend after you get a car, you can get yourself a pretty decent setup.

I don't want to put the reciever next to the monitor because then i'll have to put one of the speakers on it and it will be uneven with the other speaker. Don't have anywhere else to put it. Unless i put it under the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom