Question about large (5gig+) files transfering

samsung

Beta member
I need to copy two 6 and 7 gig ISO files to another computer. I'd burn them, but the comp with the files doesn't burn DL DVDs...

How can I get these files onto my external hard drive?? Or onto the other computer. (the drive wont copy anything over 4 gigs)

I've read about changing the files system on the external hard drive. How will that effect what's already on the drive? Will it be erased? Does the drive need to be empty to do this? THANKS. I cannot risk losing whats already on the drive

Or Can I just transfer them to my other computer somehow? Over my wireless network, or through USB?

The comp with the files is a Lenovo R400 Vista 32

The other is a 32 windows 7 lenovo l412, with DL burner

Changing the file system on the external harddrive will do some changes, it will copy a files that is larger than 4gb but the problem is that the external would have to be formatted (losing things in your drive) to a NTFS partition. You can wirelessly transfer but its not recommended since youre transferring very large files over the network and it could have serious network issues such slow internet and crashes while copying over the network.

So unless you have NTFS partitions you cant make copies of 4gb+ files over. Another way to solve this issue easier is split your iso file using file splitter or hj-split and then you can allocate the size of the iso files (make sure its less than 4gb) and then copy, once its copied over simply merge it back with the same program.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom