Need some help here.

dotcong

Beta member
Ok here's what I want to do, I want to split an ethernet connection at work, I have one connection in my office that comes from a wireless router, I don't have the capability to run a second connection so can I just split the one I have? Neither of the computers have wireless capabilities either, and I really need both to be hardwired.

The reason I want to do this is so I can run one of my computers remotely through the other, the reasoning is too extensive to go through hahah. Any help is appreciated. If anyone can think of a better way to do this I'd be happy to hear it, I don't know if the same could be done through a firewire cable connected to both PCs or not? I'm not a PC genius by any means. Thanks!

The idea is to have both PCs on the internet at the same time. I have an old PC that has software on it that is not compatible with our new PC and new software is way out of budget, especially considering we will be switching to Apple in the future. Right now I need to be able to run the old PC through a virtual machine or LogMeIn or something.

A switch will allow both PC's online at the same time. The ethernet cable from the router will go into the switch and then each computer will go into the switch. Problem solved. Actually most routers have 4 port switches built into them as well.

Back
Top Bottom