General question about audio software and system performance...

OffLabelUse

Beta member
I have an OLD Hp Pavillion a1610n. Yeah, it's old.

This is the motherboard:
c00757485.jpg

Specs:
Motherboard Specifications, A8M2N-LA (NodusM3) HP Pavilion Media Center a1610n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I also run J Rivers Jukebox audio software to sort through and present my 3 external HDs worth of music. Yes, three external hard drives!
The system runs very, very slow. The CPU usage constantly maxes out.

MY QUESTION IS THIS:
I'm guessing that getting a spiffy new computer will significantly improve the amount of time it takes to retrieve and play a song (currently it can take up to 20-30 seconds between actions/commands). How much of this lag is due to the sound card (?) the CPU (?) or even the bottleneck of the 2.0 / 3.0 USB cables?

In other words, if I shell out 700 bones for this setup:
Micro Express Computers...or any of these:Top 10 Budget Desktop PCs | PCWorld

...will I still be waiting around for my music to play because the 3.0 USB just takes a long time?
Does the sound card play a role in the speed of retrieval...from external HDs?
Can the USB 'bottle neck' make my CPU work harder?

Thanks for any advice and for your patience dealing with any errors or faulty assumptions on my part.

It's a major investment for our little family and I don't want to waste the money if I can help it. (I also feel overwhelmed replacing and matching all the obscure parts/connections/etc for the motherboard and figuring out what will work with what, is why I'm leaning towards just buying a new system. But, if I can replace something small for under $100 ...I may do that. Thanks!)

Sound card has nothing to do with retrieving the music. The only part the sound card does is to give you sound. The CPU, Hard Drive, and Cables are the cause of faster or slower speeds. Any of the new computer's would have better speeds than your current one.

Back
Top Bottom