Monitor USB port no longer works.

Akuma1990

Beta member
Hey basically I ran into a little problem today, my Dell 24inch monitor has 2 USB slots which I use to charge my iphone frequently has stopped responding today.

The computer I use to charge it doesn't have iTunes installed so basically I can't eject the iPhone, I just plug the iPhone in and out when ever it's needed. This basically made a huge problem for me now the USB port no longer works, I've went into Device Manager into the USB section and it has "unknown device" in two sections which I like to be reinstalled.

Question is how do I get the USB port reinstalled?

Thanks.

My suggestion is that you go on the dell site, and grab the driver for the monitor associated with the correct Operating System. Do you have a model number of the monitor you are using?

Also, what Operating System are you using?

Using Safe Mode, in Device manager, remove those two unknown devices, and remove the other USB drivers. Reboot the system and allow it to detect the USB system and install new drivers.

I always recommend using a powered USB hub for charging phones and such-- computer motherboards can only provide so much current through the USB ports and some chipsets are weak in that area-- too much load on the USB bus can actually damage them and you will not have USB at all.

Using Safe Mode, in Device manager, remove those two unknown devices, and remove the other USB drivers. Reboot the system and allow it to detect the USB system and install new drivers.

I always recommend using a powered USB hub for charging phones and such-- computer motherboards can only provide so much current through the USB ports and some chipsets are weak in that area-- too much load on the USB bus can actually damage them and you will not have USB at all.

Are you talking about the USB controller on the Monitor's Motherboard? I'm just curious, because there would be two PCB USB controllers that are being interfaced: Computer MB and Monitor MB. The Monitor has its own electrical supply through the power cable, and that would provide enough juice for the Monitor's USB Controller to spread throughout the USB modules. In other words, the Monitor USB's are not powered by the actual computer, but the Monitor itself.

Are you talking about the USB controller on the Monitor's Motherboard? I'm just curious, because there would be two PCB USB controllers that are being interfaced: Computer MB and Monitor MB. The Monitor has its own electrical supply through the power cable, and that would provide enough juice for the Monitor's USB Controller to spread throughout the USB modules. In other words, the Monitor USB's are not powered by the actual computer, but the Monitor itself.

Do you know that as a fact? Is there any documentation on this monitor to support that assertion?

If so, then the monitor would be acting as a powered USB hub.

2. That is based off of your experience?. And, if you have power to the monitor, your USB ports will give power to the USB devices, as long as, the monitor is on.

Again, that is not always true, trying to state otherwise is simply being ignorant. As I said, my monitor at work does NOT provide power to the ports, and it defiantly has to be turned on for me to use it every day.

If restoring the drivers did not help you, then follow celegorm's advice about trying the USB ports on your computer.

I've trimmed posts out of this thread.
and edited other posts.

The basic message of advice to the original poster so far is:

Do you know if the USB hub in your monitor is powered or not?
not all hubs on monitors are powered hubs, (some are passive). (the manual for your monitor will help tell you more, or if you provide a model number somebody may look this up for you.)

Try re-installing the drivers for the monitor, which should include the drivers for the USB hub. once the drivers are re-installed it all *should* start working.

if it doesn't start working, try connecting your phone directly to the USB port that the USB input to the monitor is usually connected to.

To everyone else, please try and keep things on track, the stuff that I've trimmed was in some cases massively misinformed, in other cases just doesn't belong here.

Back
Top Bottom