How to tell if your computer has had electrical damage?

Those voltages look good. Try changing ports on the router. It may be that the LAN port was damaged, you can get a replacement 10/100/1000 ethernet card to plug into a PCI slot for pretty cheap.

And, while the computer was on, one red (which looked sort of pink) read 5.00V, one yellow read 11.5 V, and one orange read 3.20V.
Yellow wire identifies the defect. Others see specs (ie 10%), but forget to learn other factors that must be combined with those spec numbers. At 11.5 V, the 12 volts is completely defective.

So what is the reason for that defective voltage? In simplest terms, two factors. Either excessive load or an internal PSU defect.

For example, what happens when the same voltages are taken with only a video controller removed? Does the 'removed' 12 volt load increase that voltage to an acceptable number? Then the PSU was probably always undersized when purchased. Another often misunderstood fact. Defective power supplies can even boot and run a computer for months. Maybe the PSU was defective many months ago. However, your numbers are reporting a defect on the 12 volt supply either due to a PSU defect or excessive load.

If replacing the power supply, first learn ampere numbers for each voltage (3.3, 5, 12). A new supply must have ampere numbers at least equal to existing 3.3, and 5 numbers. But 12 volts may need a larger ampere number. Don't waste time viewing watts numbers. Important numbers are amperes for each voltage.

So has that 11.5 voltage been damaging other components? And I'll look into that next time I get a psu. I only used to look for 80+ and watts.

So has that 11.5 voltage been damaging other components?
Despite popular myths, low voltage does not damage electronics. But low voltage caused signal threshold and timing changes. Eventually one signal does not get detected in time. So the entire computer crashes. Crashes as in software execution changes; not hardware damage.

So how highly would you recommend getting a completely new PSU? And also, do you think this deficiency would apply for my PSU manufacture's warranty?

Also, pertaining to my hd radeon 5770 GPU, do you think that this might have gotten some damage in the whole ordeal? I heard that power failures can be fatal for high end cards like these.

If you can boot to your discs, give all hard drives full tests for errors. I also doubt that your card was damaged in the process as you would not usually be able to display an image once a video card has received an electrical shock.

Your motherboard, seems to be doing alright but I would not rule it out completely if the computer is having issues. The motherboard is typically one of the most fragile pieces next to your CPU and is therefore usually one of the first items to go when fried by electricity.

I also doubt it is your PSU, as you seem to be able to start up the system perfectly fine and the PSU (just guessing) spools up correctly.

Test each part separately doing a "bench test" if need be, if the computer refuses to boot to windows. This way you can find if you have a faulty part in the mix causing problems.

Thats all I got for you as of now, feel free to respond if you need more help!

In the meantime, I'm going to use my computer as is. I still need to use my $300 wacom intuos4 tablet. With the psu being damaged, as told above, will this damage the tablet at all? I don't know if the usb would be on the same voltage or not.

Back
Top Bottom