CD-ROM Drive.

Instinct5

Solid State Member
Alright first off sorry if im not in the right spot but heres my problem.. When I put a disc in the cd-rom drive and close it nothing happens. doesnt read, computer doesnt get louder or show any signs that its reading the disc. When i go to my computer I dont even have an icon for cd-rom. im assuming i need a driver. Also ive tried 2 cd rom drives in the computer both the same thing. I dont know the models i know ones an lg other is just plain.. 5-6 years old. Thanks for your time.

Just double check the drives on a working computer (a friends or families or something), to check its not the drives themselves (It doesnt sound like its them anyway)

Are you using the same cable to connect them to the motherboard? If so, try a different cable, again one you know that works, and make sure you are connecting it right (usually marked or coloured differently on one side of the connector) IDE port. (most of the time its labelled as the 'secondary' IDE port)

Last - and most probably the problem - try a different IDE port if you have one.

It sounds like where you are connecting your cdrom drive cable - (the IDE socket) has gone kaput. Does your board have a warranty?

If you are able to open an "close" the CD Drive, then it seems like you do have power to the drive, and that it is not a slot-loading drive. It seems to be a generic CD Drive.

So, with that information, do you happen to know how you are connecting the CD Drives to the motherboard of the computer? Is it by IDE cable or Sata cable? Technically, you do need a "device driver" for most hardware (USB excluded -- provides its own driver), but you don't always logically need a driver for a CD Drive to work. It would just perform the basic functions of the drive: "Read".

Going with what Luke is saying, I would say to make sure you are connecting the data cables correctly, whether it be, IDE or Sata.

Ive tried another IDE cable not working still. I dont get it, it just wont spin or read that there is a disc. WDC WD800JB-32FSA0 thats from the device manager under disc drives might help to know what kind it is? its old from 2005 its LG. I dont know where on the motherboard it would connect to i thought it just came straight from the power supply? its been to long since ive put a omputer together to remember where shit goes, thanks for the help guys.

Also, if it is an IDE cable, there will be an arrow on the motherboard indicating what side the "red line" on the IDE cable ribbon should go on. If you have the cable flipped the wrong way, then the CD Drive will not do anything.

Make sure that if it's the only device on the ide cable that it's on the END connector. And check the jumper settings like strollin said.

Back
Top Bottom