Old Computer Help

ibudde

Solid State Member
I have an old Dell Desktop Computer from about the year 2000. I want to fix it, but it has a virus and many unwanted files. It is very slow. I dont want to put the hard drive on my other computer because of the virus. There are also many files that I would like to keep. How to I get the files off.:confused:

Well no expert, but I'd get the free Dls from malwarebyte, and glary utilities and run them.
then try one of the free anti virus's avast has been good to me. run it. You will have to disable your current anti V.

In glary's you will have quick access to many windows features like start up manager too many programs starting, run SFC and chkdsk to square up the OS you have.

Then I'd see what I have, then.

Do you have an operating sys disc?

I would suggest create a folder on the desktop, then copy all files you need to that folder, then use the latest updated virus scanner app to scan the folder only.

After that copy the folder to external media like USB drives.

Then, repartition the HDD, format the HDD and reinstall the OS.
If you wish, move the folder back from the USB drive to the newly installed OS again.
Make a scan on that USB drive first.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager Wptinc

I'd recommend a bootable AV on a CD, something like Kaspersky Rescuedisk which will allow you to boot the machine without any viruses being active and run a virus scan. That way the viruses can't be actively attempting to defeat the AV software. Once you have the viruses cleaned up then you can copy the files you want.

Thanks for the help, but I dont have a xp installation disc. all i have is a vista disc, and you probably know all the bugs in it.:confused:

The Kaspersky Rescue disk that I provided a link to will let you boot the machine and run a virus scan regardless of the condition of the machine's OS.

Back
Top Bottom