Help with buying/building a Gaming laptop for Coast Guardsmen

draik

Baseband Member
Hello!
Like the title says, I am looking to buy a gaming laptop. I am in the Coast Guard and cannot use my desktop due to living on my boat. Any help people can give me on buying a laptop would be appreciated. I have always been a desktop guy and have never owned a laptop. I play WoW and Age of Conan. A laptop that could run these nicely, as well as handle upcoming games would be great. My budget is 1500 or less.

Was checking out laptops on cyberpowerpc.com, and the alienware laptops at dell.com. I am hesitant to go with alienware due to the overpricing.

I don't know what hp stuff you've used in the past but they make all kinds of stuff. Some of which is EXTREMELY high end. The epp site just sent me this last night:

2nd generation Intel Core i5-2410M Processor 2.30GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90GHz Processor speed 2.3GHz

4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 DIMM); Max supported = 16GB

14.5" diagonal High Definition(8) HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1366 x 768)

Radeon HD 6630 switchable graphics with 1024MB DDR3 and up to 2782MB total graphics memory

Beats Audio sound

750GB (7200RPM) Hard Drive (SATA) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

Wireless LAN 802.11a/g/n WLAN & Bluetooth with WiDi

1 SuperSpeed USB 3.0; 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 mini-Display port; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ -45 (LAN)

All that for a grand, it's a quick ship model (you can get it in just a few days after ordering it) and shipping is free. I GUARANTEE you'll be able to game on that...lol

I think go with Dell as they have good experience with Alienware. I heard as well that HP isn't that good when it comes to gaming laptops.

In the past, HP's notebooks were a little "meh" especially when it came to long term reliability. Dell still wins in that category for me, especially, as was mentioned already, in the XPS line. I have an XPS M1530 and it's quite the trooper. I love that thing. I've also had great luck with the Asus and Acer laptops as well. Finding one that will play WoW and AoC reasonably well won't be too hard. My choices would either be the Dell XPS 17 with an i7 (or at least a very fast i5) and at least 4GB of RAM, a 7200 RPM or SSD hard drive, and the fastest discreet (NOT onboard) video card you can do. I configured an XPS 17 on their site just now with the i7 2630QM, 4GB RAM and the GT 550M for $1079, but I didn't add anything else to it, so that fits within your budget. I'd also call them and place the order with them if you can, they might be able to cut you a deal since you serve (and for that, I salute you)

Newegg has some good deals on the Acers/Asus' out there, so it's just a matter of picking one and going for it, but I'd safely recommend the Dell first, and then go to Newegg only if Dell can't help you out (with a config, not just a discount ;) )

Ended up going with alienware. Here are the specs:
Alienware M14X - Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish
Intel Core i7 2820QM 2.4GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Mode, 8M cache
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
14.0 High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus technology
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/s
Killer Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming and Video
Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled

Back
Top Bottom