Is this backup plan good enough?

mitts2010

Baseband Member
I use a laptop as my main computer, so it is impossible to have an external drive hooked up all the time for files to be copied to.

Most of my files are pictures (I add pictures about every two weeks), and word and excel files (I edit or create these every day).

I'm going to back up once a week to my external hard drive (using SyncToy). And then every month I will create a backup set of DVD's to keep off site in a safe deposit box.

Then for the word files and pictures I create throughout the week, I will use Mozy online backup. This will be good because if I'm working away from home, and I have internet, I can just click a button and everything is saved.

Does this sound OK...or should I do something else? I just want to make sure my files or safe. I also am skeptical of using Mozy, because I hate to have files scattered to different places, I just like keeping things simple but safe.

That sounds good to me. I'd have a flash drive or something that you can keep your really important files on, like the report you're in the middle of for work or things like that, in case something does happen. But otherwise it seems great.

i have a router with a usb socket so i can plug my external hdd in it. its a big slow browsing files and stuff but its dead handy! apart from that this seems good to me

Instead of local / physical backup, it is better to opt for online backup solution. Online backup is the most secure & reliable than physical backup.
Online Backup Advantage:

• Restore Data anywhere, anytime
  • Data's are backed up real time
  • Low TCO
  • Easy to Install and configure

The problem with online backup only is that we don't always have access to the cloud, nor is the pipe always wide enough to allow transfer of GB of data back to our local computer. You don't want to place all your eggs into one basket, anyway.

The OP has local, easily accessible backup, off-site storage and cloud, which is a good solid mix and in case of catastrophe, he will likely be able to recover 99% of his data.

Back
Top Bottom