Help with first build

drevan

Solid State Member
I'm building a machine for general use, photoshop and video editing but nothing very heavy. I only need the case and internals (no monitor, peripherals etc)

this is what I've come up with, open to suggestions like a entirely different setup or one or two components can be swapped for something that works in better unison with the remaining parts...please advise

desk-build.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/JothamA/desk-build.jpg?t=1312302438

Thanks!

Looks great only things I would recommend switching out the HD for a 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3. They are reliable, cheap and faster than caviar blacks. Cant find it on the webpage your buying your parts from.

For PSU I would reccomend the Corsair HX650W, you dont need the 750W for the videocard you're getting. Plus its Gold Rated and its modular which is gonna keep cable clutter to a minimum on your case.
Corsair Professional Series HX650 Modular 650 Watt Power Supply (CMPSU-650HX) | Canada Computers

Memory is good but if you can get these, they are amazing.
Corsair Vengeance Blue Heatspreader 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3, 1600MHz 240 Dimm, Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24 - Dual Channel, 1.5V (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) | Canada Computers

Thanks for your reply, NeXuS. In the past few minutes I had found people dissatisfied with the Kingston HyperX so I was already considering the corsair vengeance heatspreader - thanks for the suggestion on the Blue. Thanks also for the suggestion on the power supply-I think you're right.

To your knowledge, all these hardware would be compatible?

Ohh missed on the CPU, if you're willing to extend your budget get the i5 2500k for $30 you get a superior CPU highly overclockable especially paired with that mobo you got. You can get an aftermarket cooler later because stock is still blazing fast. Perfect mobo lots of expansions for a great price I got the Pro but with the P67 chipset.

i5 2500k Link
Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.30Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 32nm (Retail Boxed) (BX80623I52500K) | Canada Computers

For the memory also G-Skill Ripjaws are good its a bit cheaper than Corsair. Get 1600MHz one and you're in business.

NeXuS's recommendations are win. I can also vouch for G.Skill memory as well, if it helps to know.

Thanks so far, guys.

Some people have suggested I up the graphics to 560 Ti - is this necessary? I won't be doing any high end gaming, only hobbyist editing of film and raw photographs.

For my purposes, would it suffer from going down on the MOBO to asus P8P67 - Asus P8P67 LE (Rev. 3.0) Socket 1155 Intel P67 Chipset CrossfireX Dual-Channel DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333Mhz 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 GigaLAN 8-CH High Definition Audio 3x SATA 6.0Gb/s 4x SATA 3.0Gb/s 2xUSB 3.0 Firewire ATX | Canad

is teh $20 difference between these two Asus ENGTX550 Ti DC TOP/DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti Chipset (975Mhz) 1GB (4104Mhz) GDDR5 DVI-I/VGA/HDMI Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers & Asus ENGTX550 Ti DC/DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti Chipset (910Mhz) 1GB (4104Mhz) GDDR5 DVI-I/VGA/HDMI Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers worth it for marginally higher clock speeds?

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/JothamA/pc4http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/JothamA/pc4.jpg

I think this is my tentative final config (with a 650W PSU - which is not available online so I put the 750 in its place)

What games are you going to play?

Here is the table of difference across the p8p67 boards on the ASUS. To give you an idea. At least get the P8P67.
asus_p8p67_spec.jpg

Get the cheaper video card they have the same cooler, save $20 and just adjust the clock speeds to the $20 one.

I think the 550 Ti will do great on those games. Although the 560 ti has the best bang for buck, but you're fine with the 550 Ti.

ASAP: will the corsair vengeance 2x4gb be OK on the ASUS P8P67? It is not listed in the QVL...

at further inspection and research, I believe this are OK - they operate at the 1.5 volts that seems to satisfy the sandy bridge processors/board.

Can anyone speak from experience to ease my mind? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom