dell 8400 w/ new graphics card???

racingrox11

Beta member
So i have this 7-year-old computer. It just got a massive virus and wiped the system clean. This actually helped me, i just got iRacing and that is the only thing on the computer except for java and stuff. So i can run iRacing, at an average of 30fps (horrible). I know nothing about this stuff so i asked a good friend who does, i have 2GB of RAM so he said all i should need is a new graphics card. So, with a price range of $100-$200 i went out and stupidly just bought one. i bought a GTX 460 for $150. After i did this i found out i needed 450psu, a dell 8400 has 350psu. So i looked up psu for a dell 8400 and found a Silencer 500w Dell. It puts out 500psu. Would this fix all my problems? The computer has plenty of room for the GTX 460 itself.

just need to make sure that the 500w PSU comes with the same 4pin/6pins power connector to the mainboard to support the VGA. Also, hope your 7 year old PC got a fast enough CPU that can meet the GTX460 needs.

hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager

As long as the power supply fits the case, and has the correct pinouts for the motherboard and the video card, you should be fine. You sound like you can find your way around a PC, so you should know real fast whether or not it'll work.

So i got the new psu today and tried installing the graphics card for the first time. it fit and everything worked well until i tried installing the video drivers. i clicked install, it saved all the files in the folder it suggested then a message came up saying:
"Install cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Whats wrong???

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom