New laptop will load every page if hooked up directly to modem.

polo1134

Beta member
Laptop loads every webpage if hooked directly to modem... but not wirelessly?

New laptop will load every webpage/website only if it's hooked directly to my modem. When trying wirelessly it wont load some pages. For example, I will access the internet and go to Google>search; Photobucket>click on link to Photobucket> and website will load only if I'm hooked up directly to my modem. Same action using modem and wireless router page never loads. This is happening on about 50% of the sites I'm trying to access.

I'm thinking of taking laptop someplace I can get wireless connection, to see if I can get to all websites to confirm it's my wireless router. I was hoping it was just a setting but I have tried this in multiple browsers, Google Chrome, Firefox, Explorer... Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Laptop is just a few days old... Acer Aspire 7741G-6426, i5, Win7.

Not a computer genius so if you can talk in basic terms that would be great. Haha Any help will be appreciated.

Your idea to test on another network is exactly what I would do. Chances are there's either an incompatibility with your existing WiFi (I've had it happen too) or there's a signal issue that is preventing your laptop from getting the information it needs over the wifi. Moving it closer is one other thought

I would check your IP settings, too. Run IPCONFIG /ALL on your machine from a CMD prompt. Note the DNS Servers. Then hook it directly to your modem, and do the same thing. Do you have the same DNS servers? Find a site that won't open when on the router. In command prompt, do a "NSLOOKUP <sitename.com>" and resolve it to an IP address. From there, perform a "tracert <IP ADDRESS>". Does the trace complete? Reply back with your results if you can.

I would try on another wireless then we will know if the problem is laptop related or wireless router.

Are there any website restriction settings on the wireless??

Can you turn off the firewall / anti-virus tempary on your laptop and try to get to a site you were having issues with.

Are there any updates for your wireless driver??

Can you try the wireless connection from your laptop when u r 1 meter away from the router?

Are there any other wireless devices near the router such as a phone?

If the wireless router has a firewall running, then Windows Firewall will be interfering with your access.

If that is the case, you will want to turn off one of the firewalls.

Wow... thanks for the great ideas! I did take my laptop to McDonald's and had no problem accessing any of the sites that I was having trouble with at home. This tells me that something is wrong with the wireless router.

I will try all of your suggestions and let you guys no the results. I did talk to a computer guy at work and he thought it was a pretty strange problem.

Back
Top Bottom