Computer Crashing due to ambient "heat"

Marshillboy

In Runtime
Where I live, the outside temperature rarely goes above 70F (even in the summer). However, when it does, the temperature in my computer room is probably 80ish and for some reason my rig freezes frequently under load while gaming, but only in these circumstances, which leads me to believe that this issue is almost certainly heat related.

I haven't overclocked my phenom x4 955, and I have a Xigmatek aftermarket cooler on it. I ran speedfan on my secondary monitor while I was gaming today, and took a picture with my crappy phone camera of what the last settings were before it crashed under load.

speedfanr.jpg

This is what it looks like in the same conditions idling.

speedfanidle.jpg

CPU temps are the high side of normal for an aftermarket heatsink. You said Xigmatek, but which model of heatsink is it?

Also, what power supply are you using to run your system and what are the full specs of the system?

Thanks for the replies, I've been on vacation and unable to reply to this thread.

I believe the CPU cooler is a Xigmatek HDT-S1283. You can see the CPU temperatures are fine when these lock-ups occur.

There is no bluescreen. I've checked the Windows event viewer logs and there are no outstanding events that occur on the freeze. The system freezes completely in its current state and I am forced to reboot.

This occurs most prominently when I play Team Fortress 2, which is the only game I play for hours at a time.

That program isnt that reliable for temps. Go check it out in bios or use RealTemp.

That program isnt that reliable for temps. Go check it out in bios or use RealTemp.

RealTemp is incompatible with AMD processors & the BIOS won't help me figure out temps under load, only idle.

I'll try everest and see if I'm able to replicate the issue.

OK, so I was poking around and discovered my installation was missing a driver for an unknown device called "ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY". Windows wouldn't automatically find a driver for it, so I manually downloaded and installed the appropriate driver and no crashes in over a week of hot weather. Problem solved? I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom