Hard Drive Formating

Gem55

Beta member
Anyone any idea if there is a limit to how many times you can format a hard drive ?

there is not a limit, the only limit there will be is when the hard-drive fails with a hardware issue :)

Hi JCB
I didn't think that there was, in fact I was thinking that there was a fault just as you say. I was formatting and reinstalling XP and every thing goes fine until XP goes to start up and after the Trademark Widows comes up on the screen it just goes to a black screen and nothing else happens. What do you think and any other advice please.

Sounds like a bad load of Windows - make sure your install media (if it's a CD) doesn't have any smudges or scratches, and if possible, do a complete reload instead of an inplace or upgrade install. XP does better when you wipe the drive install it from scratch.

The drive was wiped and the CD is maker supplied (fujitsu siemens) kept in folder since new and used to format drive and reinstall before after problems with a virus. It worked with no problems that time. Now while it is loading XP it is coming up with not being able to load the different .dll files i86 can't be opened or found I can't remember which.
I am going to try it again today but I ended up getting it load in some sort of form, probably without the dll files so if I can get onto the net I will try and get the Microsoft fixit thing to check it out and see what it comes up with, it's never been much use in the past except for taking up space with all it's downloads. Cheers

Have you inspected the CD to make sure that it's not dirty or scratched, or anything like that.
it could be that the CD you're using is no good.

Back
Top Bottom