One computer on a home network can't be accessed by the others

anasttin

Solid State Member
Hi and thanks in advance for the help.

I've got 3 identical PC's that were bought and configured at the same time, all running

Windows 7 off a Netgear router.

Though all 3 machines can successfully ping each other, one machine can't be accessed by

the other two through windows explorer meaning it can't participate in LAN games or share

files with the other 2 machines.

I also seem unable to register my copy of Starcraft II because it doesn't recognise any

return data from the Starcraft servers, though it works fine on another machine (not sure

if this is related).

I've disabled the Comodo firewall on the unaccessible machine and believe file sharing is

activated but it hasn't helped.

I'm no expert in networks so if someone could suggest what I might have done wrong in the

setup, to correct the problem, I'd be very grateful because I've spent ages trying to fix

this already.

Thanks guys

Ana

From the PC that isn't working, try opening a command prompt (Click Start, type cmd and wait for the result to show up, press enter, then type

ping 8.8.8.8

What happens? If you don't get any replies, the connection on that system isn't active. The fact that StarCraft II doesn't connect is also telling of a general network card issue, and could be something more serious like a bad network card in that system, or a bad cable. Need to know what happens when you try to ping.

Also, when in the command prompt, run:

IPCONFIG

and look for your local area connection adapter's IP address. Do this on all three machines and make sure you're in the same subnet (Likely 192.168.x.y). Make sure the 'x' matches on all three computers, else you may have a static IP address assigned, preventing you to access the proper subnet.

image090.jpg

Note in the image that two of the adapters are reporting a 169.*.*.* address. This is a default IP the computer will assign itself if it is having trouble contacting a DHCP server.

Hi guys,

A friend at work suggested I uninstall Comodo firewall and after doing that, other computers can connect to mine.

I'm still having the problem with Starcraft 2 though, which doesn't recognise my internet connection at any point. I get right to the stage to connect to battlenet and it fails.

Any advice on how to fix this? I paid a packet for the game and really want to play it.

Thanks a heap.

Even if the PCs were purchased the same time and configured the same you should check the IP Address (as explained above by the 'ipconfig /all' command), and check to verify the Work Group name is the same - Right-click on My Computer, Click Properties, Click Advanced System Settings, Click on Computer Name Tab and you should see Workgroup: <Work Group Name>.

Also I would not uninstall Comodo Firewall permanently however uninstalling it to see if the connectivity issue is resolved might be worth it to verify the connection problem is in fact caused by the Firewall. Then you just have to figure out what in Comodo is blocking it and allow it.

Is the windows firewall service started??

try to disable the Comodo services then reboot the machine, if that doesnt work try to uninstall Comodo. Sometimes when u disable a firewalll it keeps on running.

Do all the computers have a different mac address?? check by running ipconfig /all at the command prompt

you can acess other computer
1st you need to configure hardware properly .that is a proper wire is connected through ethernet.
then configure the ip and dns which you want in sharing.
check frm cmd command "ipconfig" wheather it pings client or not

Back
Top Bottom