*** Question About Data Plans ***

religion2386

In Runtime
Quick and to the point. I have a MotoX Rooted and using Barnicle Wireless to teether. Im running this laptop off of it no problem and it even has the wireless strength to run my xbox. My question is what will the Verizon say/do when the Data Usage is Wayy above normal/avg. I have unlimited data plan, but I was j.w...Anybody have any idea? Thanks!

From what I've gathered, some carriers will flag customers who use large amounts of data. If it persists after a certain amount of time (say, a few months), then they will "review" your account. Basically, what this means is they run a program that analyzes package type. If too many flagged packages are detected, then they have to right to cancel your service and/or charge a fee. Obviously, it varies by carrier, but this seems to be the typical process. It's pretty rare for people to actually get their phones deactivated though.

You should probably read your carrier's fair use policy to get an idea of what they might do. Personally, I'd avoid using it for the xbox if possible. That'd be a very clear sign that you're tethering.

Quick and to the point. I have a MotoX Rooted and using Barnicle Wireless to teether. Im running this laptop off of it no problem and it even has the wireless strength to run my xbox. My question is what will the Verizon say/do when the Data Usage is Wayy above normal/avg. I have unlimited data plan, but I was j.w...Anybody have any idea? Thanks!

If it's verizon nothing at all. Many use 50GB or more on their 4G and easily 15GB on their 3G because they want to "revolt" against the plans. I easily do 5GB, so you probably will be fine.

To be safe, I wouldn't use a lot of data, even if people have used a lot of data and not gotten caught. If it's against the TOS, then definitely try not to use too much. It's fairly easy to for Verizon to tell you're tethering if they want to look into it enough.

I tether my desktop with my phone to WiFi. Even though I have unlimited 3G/4G, I still don't want to bother with it.. I use about 1 GB of data per week without tethering... :p

I used my Droid X rooted for tethering, and use my Thunderbolt for the same thing now. I average 20GB+ per month, and have been doing so for about 8 months now (used 28GB last month!). I won't say Verizon will not do anything, but chances are, they won't.

No, as far as I have seen, I get full speed, and true unlimited data every month. However, they did introduce new tiered plans, but you are grandfathered in if you already had unlimited. I have already used 10GB this month, and used my phone last night tethered to my computer.

Back
Top Bottom