Which Ram Card Is better?

cerichmond77

Solid State Member
Hi this is my first time posting on this forum, but I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I recently bought ram cards to upgrade my Lenovo T500, but after looking at prices of what my new and old ram costed I'm not sure if it was a good investment.

My old ram was (2x2GB) Hynix DDR3 H5TQ1G83TFR-G7C
and my new one is G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ

Sorry if that's not enough info. I'm new to this so I did my best. Any help would be appreciated

It would help if you can tell us what you use your computer mainly for. I would say 4G is sufficient unless your experiencing Memory Shortages :D

I do a lot of photoshop editing and I sometimes have multilpule editors open. They lag from time to time when I try to zoom in or do other functions.

Thats most likely a CPU problem, But if your RAM is full all the time, go ahead and get the 8G. which CPU do you have?
It might also be a GPU problem, which Graphics card do you have?

I have a Lenovo T500. But the thing is I already bought the ram and put it in. I just cant tell if its just me or not but it seems that it might have made my computer slower. So thats why im just wondering which cards are better. I know that you have to look at more then just how big the cards are and I was wondering if I missed something when I looked at it.
I found the 8Gb for only 45 bucks and I looked up the price of the old ones and it looks like I can sell each card for 80. So if the two 4gb sticks are better ill sell my old ones and make money hopefully.

Most likely it's your graphics card, try up grading it to a 4000s series or higher
whats the name of your laptop processer? if its a slow one then it can also cause problems too

EDIT: just looked up photoshop, looks like it doesnt really use the graphics card unless you do intense 3D design... my suggestion is to get a 4 core processer

I have a Lenovo T500. But the thing is I already bought the ram and put it in. I just cant tell if its just me or not but it seems that it might have made my computer slower. So thats why im just wondering which cards are better. I know that you have to look at more then just how big the cards are and I was wondering if I missed something when I looked at it.
I found the 8Gb for only 45 bucks and I looked up the price of the old ones and it looks like I can sell each card for 80. So if the two 4gb sticks are better ill sell my old ones and make money hopefully.

Are you running a 64 bit operating system? A 32 bit OS can't make use of much more than about 3 GB of ram.

Hey dontknow? Try reading the OP's post first before you get all gung-ho about recommending upgrades. Harbinger has a valid point though about the operating system. Just ensure that it is a 64 bit OS before you upgrade the RAM, but that being said, doing any type of heavy lifting on a laptop (photoshop, CAD, etc) without enough RAM is going to be a headache.

For that kind of work, absolutely upgrading to 8GB of RAM will help. As screen resolutions go up, and the need for higher resolution images goes up with it, the more RAM you'll need to be able to run the software efficiently.

But I do worry, the Lenovo T500 was a Core 2 Duo laptop, and those used DDR2, not DDR3. Are you sure the old RAM is DDR3 and not DDR2?

Yes. When I pulled them out I looked at them. And Thanks for saying something to the dontknow poster. This is my first time on this forum so I didn't want to seem rude telling them to backoff and actually read what I wrote.
Also i've worked on a lot of computers in the past (not to many laptops) but the only thing I never did or quite understood was if you can replace a processor or not?

Back
Top Bottom