Netbook/tablet pc without camera and webcam

Debs1

Beta member
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a tablet pc/ notepad or laptop which is lightweight without a camera or webcam. I want it for therapeutic work which I do with nursery and school age children. Simply disabling the camera is not enough and schools are understandably wary about any device that has camera or website accessibility.

You could just disable the webcam in device manager, and let all the people who use it use a limited account, so they can't re-enable it.

Netbooks and tablet PCs, for the most part, are designed for Email and Social Networking, so it's understandable that they all seem to have cameras.

You could just disable the webcam in device manager, and let all the people who use it use a limited account, so they can't re-enable it.

Netbooks and tablet PCs, for the most part, are designed for Email and Social Networking, so it's understandable that they all seem to have cameras.

He/she said he/she can't disable the camera because the other people are not that understandable.

If you want you could open up the bezel and rip the camera out so it won't work. It's a ghetto fix but at least it gets the point across.

I wouldn't go ripping into company owned equipment just to disable something on the system. Your best bet is to just call the OEMs (HP, Dell, etc) and see what they have available for you. I worked for a school district (medium sized, at a middle school) as the IT guy and cameras in devices were never a problem, but we also had service/sales contracts with a local IT firm as well as Dell, so we had many solutions available.

Give them a call and see what they can do for you. You'll get even more help in that arena if you call the Small Business / Education information / sales lines than just end user. Those folks are much more helpful and knowledgeable about their product lines. (Even if you're just doing this on your own, those lines will be happy to service you if you tell them what the intended use is for)

Back
Top Bottom