Looking for a PC laptop with an IEEE 1394.

tr3nt

Beta member
Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me out, I can't find anything.
I'm looking for an i7, 6-8g of ram, a nice video card, and an IEEE port. around $1000. anyone have any ideas?

Your asking for a lot of power and performance and only preparing to pay very little to get it. The best advice i can give you is either go with a desktop or get a Mac. You will very rarely find IEEE 1394 ports on a laptop other than an Mac.

tr3nt, you looking to build it, or just buy it from an OEM like iBuyPower and so on?

I'm looking for anything, the only thing I can find that has a firewire port is a Macbook

We just finished getting a new system ready for an employee in a remote office, and it's a Dell Latitude E6520 and it has the Mini Firewire plug, which would be fine.

Hmm this is a possibility, know of any others?

Are Expresscard slots common? I see a lot of firewire cards you can use with expresscard slots.

Not off hand. The Dell is the only one I know of off hand. Most systems worth their salt though, will come with mini firewire. Yes, ExpressCard is the successor to PCMCIA slots, and should be standard now on all new notebook/laptops.

That's weird because I can't find anything with either of them.

I was set on a Dell XPS 15. Neither port though, then I was set on a Sony Vaio. Again no firewire or expresscard.

Do yourself a favor, do not *ever* buy Sony. Their support is a joke, even at the enterprise level (which I've had to get support on) they are permanently banned from ever being on my recommendation list, unless they do something significant to turn themselves around with (not likely)

As an example, we had a system that died on us, was less than a year old, but because the system release date was more than a year ago, they based support requests on the system release date and not when we purchased the system, EVEN when we supplied them with the purchase date AND a system serial number (which they claim isn't in their system)

Sony's PC division treats you like scum. Don't ever buy from them.

Back
Top Bottom