Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Berry, i think the point has been slightly missed

There IS a better one out of the two, but that better one is subjective and conditional.

Off topic: Couldn't help but notice you're studying for the Net + exam. Good luck man. It's not too hard. Sec + is harder, I think. Looks like you already have some networking experience so you should be fine.

I have net +, sec +, I've done all the a+ courses...just need to take the actual exam...cake, and I only need one more module of CCNA to take that test, too. I'm also working on my CEH (certified ethical hacker) cert AND I wanna get a cert in virtualization before getting out of the Corps. BUSY BUSY! Gotta pad that resume, ya know!?

It's easier to get into a windows machine than a mac by design.
I'd disagree there, osx is a really intuitive OS if you gave 2 computer illiterate people a mac and a windows machine, the mac user would feel more comfortable in a sooner time. Most people who have spent years using windows think, when I wan't to start I click start, I know I wan't to run a program so I go to the programs menu etc, but that's not really all that intuitive.

Why couldn't I make a hackintosh and use that? (And there is no way putting Mac OS on non-mac hardware is "illegal" If the software is legally obtained.)
you can't legally obtain the os to install on a non apple computer, youdon'tbuy the software you buys conditionallicense to use it, one of those conditions is that it's used on apple hardware.

It's harder for things to get in ... Harder to penetrate mac.
and yet the pastfew years macs have consistently failed first in the pwn2own contests...

Not replying to you as you got it right Linux is loosely based on unix,
Nobody took the unix kernel and re-wrote parts of it, that'd have been illegal and ended up in court with torvaldes fighting seomin the same way sun did!

And mac is based on bsd not unix (though bsd is unix like anyway).

Your last statement is incorrect, a Mac is a perfectly capable gaming computer.
the problem is finding games that have a Mac version, Steam is the best way.
I'd have thought that good for gaming would have meant has to have games available.

a Mac is a Golf GTI, all the other small hatchbacks are undercutting it. xD
so you mean that macs suffer from reliability issues, handling issues, are bigger heavier with less power to weight ratio than their original 32 year old model? Whilst their competitors consistently release better looking better handling cars each and every year?

To be honest I prefered the lexis Buick analogy :)

Other than Berry, i think the point has been slightly missed
There IS a better one out of the two, but that better one is subjective and conditional.
Did I misread the whole of the rest o the thread when you argued that one was better than he other?

I need to not post from my iPhone, it's terrible for using forums.

A quick reply after glancing over the post...

I'd disagree there, osx is a really intuitive OS if you gave 2 computer illiterate people a mac and a windows machine, the mac user would feel more comfortable in a sooner time. Most people who have spent years using windows think, when I wan't to start I click start, I know I wan't to run a program so I go to the programs menu etc, but that's not really all that intuitive.

I meant "get into" in terms of penetration by malware...

I need to not post from my iPhone, it's terrible for using forums.

I started this thread and made every reply solely on my Android powered Galaxy S, no problem...:-D

Maybe I'll elaborate on the rest later. Don't feel like reading it all right now.

And, real quick...

And mac is based on bsd not unix (though bsd is unix like anyway).

Straight from Mac OS' wiki: "Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in NeXTSTEP, the core of Mac OS X."

Are you really going to split hairs THAT much? Mac = NeXTSTEP = FreeBSD and NetBSD = Unix

Come on now dude...don't argue just to argue...

Perhaps I should have quantified why I said bsd not unix,

There's two reasons.
Firstly, bsd was built for and has a huge reputation for security. Bsd is a fairly minimal implementation, security is a core tenant.

A part of the reason that macs are secure at least from a networking standpoint is that the networking stack has been hardened over more years than the os has even existed.

The second reason for saying that was.
Unix is unix, bsd is unix like, linux is unix like, minix is unix like, solaris is the most like unix. In fact it's so unix like that sun and seo spent years in courts battling over patents. To the point where it pretty much bankrupt sun and seo. (the lawyers made a lot though).

I'm not really splitting hairs.
What I was saying is that apple didn't just rewrite parts of unix.
And to be honest, if you're going to educate people you may as well get it right.

Having said that about security though, there is a story, I'm not sure if it's true or just rumour that Microsoft lifted their original networking stack from bsd, but didn't even finish re-writing it, which is why there is a handful of networking files that live inside the etc folder.

I have not read all six or so prior pages to this post so I do apologize if any of these points have been touched upon. Here is my two cents...

I had a professor once tell me that it is not that one OS is better than another. It is that they all in fact, suck. I agree with this statement whole heartedly.

It is true that there are more computers running a version of windows in the home and in work environments than any other OS.
Mac computers have slowly built up popularity ever since day one back in the 70's. The big reason most work environments are using windows is solely because of IBM's choice to use windows as it's OS. (originally of course)

Now with the only possible way to run Mac OS is on an Apple machine because of certain on board problems/customizations if you will. (See BIOS, etc)
So you must buy an Apple machine to run their OS, thus stopping their OS from spreading.

Now, when asking "why mac"... I think a lot of people automatically assume you mean windows vs mac. This is incorrect, because there are many choices to choose from other than windows.

I think a better question would be to compare the hardware vs everyone else.
And which whether you like it or not... Mac machines do have better monitors. I have a second-hand fact they use IPS monitors? Which if you know your monitors... Are much better for art and reading. You will not get the headache (I never get one on any machine, but that is just me) that a lot of people complain about.

Whether it's true Mac OS is more user-friendly compared to other operating systems... I would say it comes down to user preference more than any other fact or point you may have.

Now when purchasing a Mac you will find that their prices for particular upgrades are inflated... Quite a bit. What the user must decide is whether they like the perks of having an Apple machine enough for the prices. Because Apple has complete control over their environment they are able to charge the prices they do.

The argument of gaming... They are just fine at gaming. The problem being the market share windows has vs Mac's. It is just more profitable to only code for windows. I believe this will change if/when Mac machines are main stream. On the other hand, Mac's have been around for a long time...

So... After all that. Why Mac's? Personal preference of that particular computer user. No they aren't easier. They're not more powerful. Each can have equal perks. It's all personal preference.

Well...my extended stay here in the country of Kyrghyztan on my way back to places unknown has come to an end and, along with that, an end to my oodles of free time is near.

This thread has been nice. Not QUITE as informative as I would have liked but it did manage to stay on track better than I had anticipated and I did get some interesting info out of the whole thing. Thanks all who contributed!

Growing List of Security Threats to Mac OS X Lion | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I leave you all with that.

The argument of gaming... They are just fine at gaming. The problem being the market share windows has vs Mac's. It is just more profitable to only code for windows. I believe this will change if/when Mac machines are main stream. On the other hand, Mac's have been around for a long time...

Its not really an issue of coding a game for the Mac OS. As far as I know, its still not easily possible to build a nice gaming rig and load Mac OS X on it and get going without any problems. Apple doesnt allow people building computers and installing their OS.... thats their bread and butter. Apple is very closed source about everything, thats why you dont see loads of companies putting out compatible hardwares and softwares for the Mac OS. Apple puts out new computers and you either like it or go buy/build yourself a cheapass Windows PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom